9/11/01 Where were you when you heard or saw the attack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:soldiers:I was in Bremerhaven, Germany. I turned the TV on when I woke up and after flipping through 10 channels showing the same thing went back to sleep.....I didnt realize what was going on until a friend called me up.

Even half way across the world no one was out on the streets. We were all at home watching the news.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was planting wheat right by the house I now live in. I was away from the radio for an hour or two and turned on the radio to the KATT and Rick and Brad were carrying live coverage over the radio. I knew right then that was the pearl harbor moment of my generation. I was 19 years old and probably should have joined up but my grandfather had died a couple years earlier and knew my father could use the help keeping the farm going.

I bought a paper on 9/12 and still have it and plan on showing it to grandchildren. Also, bought the paper this past May when they got Bin Laden. It may have taken a decade but at least he died at the hands of an American.

tschwarz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Senior year of High School. They turned the tube on just in time to see the second plane. That day and those that followed changed my life completely.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was active duty Marine Corps on a Joint tour at TRANSCOM, Scott AFB. My wife called me right as we were about to go into a meeting. We had just set up a new VTC with a huge wide screen in our area (Global Transportation Network) so we all went in there and watched in shock. Then the base closed, we started running shifts round the clock. I lived in base housing and I remember going home to get a change of clothes and the cars at the Shoppette wrapped down the street because everybody wanted to top off gas.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had just got off duty. We were in Kuwait flying in support of Operation Southern Watch. Some night shift guys were getting ready for work and had the T.V. on. I heard about a "Small commuter aircraft" hitting the first tower. I got up to see the T.V. just in time for the second plane to hit.

Yea I had just returned to the tent from the showers and they had it on. Remember the base going into delta and the big voice telling everyone to grab all their gear and report to their workcenters.

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was week 5 of Air Force basic training. We were on day 2 of FTX. A couple MTI's started flipping out talking about THREATCON Delta, loaded us up on buses and sent us back to our dorms. Did not find out what happened until later that evening when an MTI sat us down and told us. Did not see any pictures or videos for a couple weeks.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in my office in downtown Edmond. I got an email from a friend telling me to turn on the TV. I did so and just sat there in disbelief trying to understand what was happening.

As it turns out, I had the only TV in the building. Within fifteen minutes, there were about a dozen people in my tiny office. Many of those people I'd never met before. We all just stood there watching together.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had just got out of our department meeting for that morning and a few of us were walking through the back warehouse to go have a cig when we heard the radio. Our laughing and cutting up immediately stopped and the confusion and sadness and anger quickly set in. We were all in disbelief. We set out to let everyone in the dealership (Kenworth) know about the first plane that just hit. We turned the TV on in the conference room while everyone piled in as we watched. I'll never forget the silence and the the way I felt inside. The only thing that had ever even came close to the way I felt that day was when I was in 7th grade and I heard the name Timothy Mcveigh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom