95 Ford

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used one of those R134 conversions on my '91. The R12 had pretty much all leaked out, so I bought a cheap pneumatic vacuum pump from Harbor Freight, replaced the o-rings I knew about, and drew a vacuum on the system for 30 minutes, then installed the fitting adapters that came in the kit and recharged the system with the refrigerant/oil mix (also from the kit).

I wasn't expecting much, but it didn't have working AC when I got it, so I figured anything would be an improvement. Much to my surprise, it actually worked really well, and I had cold AC after it was done. It seems like I had to chase a minor leak or two, but nothing major, and the refrigerant mix had the UV dye in it to help find the leaks, as well as some kind of leak sealer.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure you're correct about '94 being the changeover to R134.
Awesome. I was just watching videos on this. I've seen the conversion you're talking about on other trucks. The video I just watched claimed most of the system has to be replaced to work right.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome. I was just watching videos on this. I've seen the conversion you're talking about on other trucks. The video I just watched claimed most of the system has to be replaced to work right.
I can't vouch for the longevity of the system after the conversion because the truck suffered an unfortunate incident involving a load of gravel, a failed parking brake, and a tree a couple of years later, but the AC was working in the interim.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Today got sidetracked in a big way. I only had time to finish splicing in the injector connectors to the old harness. I was hoping to get it mostly back together to see if it would fire up. I still think it will need a distributor/PIP sensor but I won’t know until I get the plenum and throttle body back on.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done at least 3 , maybe 4 conversions from r12 to 134a.

You are supposed to replace the receiver/dryer, and flush out all the old oil; the oil used for r12 is incompatible with the 134a oil.

Okay, now what I did; first one I replaced the lines, receiver/dryer (RC) and bought special flush stuff. Worked fine.

After that, for the next 3, I replaced the RC, blew out the condenser and evap core with compressed air and called it good.
They all worked fine.

I do strongly recommend replacing the RC, it is saturated with the old oil.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, my brother bought a 55 Bel Air yesterday. I’ll go to Enid and help him excavate it out of the ground and get it to broken arrow some time next week
68464650-9891-4F5B-8C9A-ABB6E0DAFD1F.jpeg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that's going to be a real chore to get right. Does he plan to do it quickly or just pick at it over a few years?
The interior is super clean. The plan is to see if the motor is worth saving at all. If not, it will get an LS crate motor. The exterior will get the comet or SOS 4 ought with soap in it and buffed out.
The motor is not original and not everything is hooked up. Judging by the size of the radiator, I think it was originally a 6 banger.
61830508-58D0-4149-A7DC-0269B3E2772D.jpeg
FA79C6DB-6358-45D1-A040-B2498DC98376.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom