9mm 1911 opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my wife wants a 9mm 1911. i have looked at kimber stainless ii. they are nice and i have one in a 45 to boot. but i was wondering what some other good options are. would like to stay under $1000. are there any cons i should know about a 9mm 1911. (i have heard of feeding problems) but that might just be crap.
thanks for the info. charlie

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charlie, I'd go for a Springfield EMP or Para Carry 9. Either one of those would be outstanding. I've not heard of any FTF or FTE issues with either of these weapons.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my wife wants a 9mm 1911. i have looked at kimber stainless ii. they are nice and i have one in a 45 to boot. but i was wondering what some other good options are. would like to stay under $1000. are there any cons i should know about a 9mm 1911. (i have heard of feeding problems) but that might just be crap.
thanks for the info. charlie

I went through all of this and finally decided that if I'm not going to spend the money to get a high-end one, I'll just try my luck at building one. :) So, I'm in the midst of that right now (waiting on a back-ordered barrel).

I'm actually building a .45 too, which I'm taking out for its first test fire tonight.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not get a Browning Hi-Power all the things a 9mm should be.

Feels great in the hand, great ergonomics. Love the pistol.

Browning trigger pull is notoriously difficult to tune, largely because of the strange geometry of its design. The trigger pull is mediocre at best.

The gun being slim, the parts are relatively small and therefore relatively fragile. In addition, many pistolsmiths consider the Browning's parts comparatively soft in virtually every incarnation of the gun. The pistol was designed in the 20's, there was no +P or machine gun ammo then. Stay away from +P ammo.

I have owned two 9mm 1911's. A few years ago I purchased a new SA 1911 target and it ran great with the cheap Blazer ammo I put thru it. Never fired anything else. Traded if off. I purchased a 1977 Colt Combat Commander about two years ago. Function perfect with the cheap Blazer ammo. Never ran anything else thru it. Also only used the Metalform mags from SA in both pistols.

IIRC correctly the Kimber uses a .40 caliber breachface dimensions on their pistols, SA uses the 9mm dimensions as did the Colt.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v231_GLG20_DSC00228.jpg

The Commander in the picture is the 9mm.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
STI has a new 9mm Spartan out now. Should be in the $600-$650 price range.

They also have the 9mm Trojan in the neighborhood of $1000.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Feels great in the hand, great ergonomics. Love the pistol.

Browning trigger pull is notoriously difficult to tune, largely because of the strange geometry of its design. The trigger pull is mediocre at best.

The gun being slim, the parts are relatively small and therefore relatively fragile. In addition, many pistolsmiths consider the Browning's parts comparatively soft in virtually every incarnation of the gun. The pistol was designed in the 20's, there was no +P or machine gun ammo then. Stay away from +P ammo.

I have owned two 9mm 1911's. A few years ago I purchased a new SA 1911 target and it ran great with the cheap Blazer ammo I put thru it. Never fired anything else. Traded if off. I purchased a 1977 Colt Combat Commander about two years ago. Function perfect with the cheap Blazer ammo. Never ran anything else thru it. Also only used the Metalform mags from SA in both pistols.

IIRC correctly the Kimber uses a .40 caliber breachface dimensions on their pistols, SA uses the 9mm dimensions as did the Colt.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v231_GLG20_DSC00228.jpg

The Commander in the picture is the 9mm.

Dang man! Nice.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We looked at the emp but I am not convinced that it would solve her problem. Limpwristing. I have never shot an emp but I would think it has more felt recoil. Granted she is new to shooting but I want to find her something she wants to shoot. Not to mention I would like another 1911. She really liked my 1911 but I think it is too much for her to shoot alot.

On the sti is there someone in the area that sells them?

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Traxxis
I want to build a 1911 too. But for now I want to get her one she likes and let her get to know that one inside and out. Then we can move forward.

Latest posts

Top Bottom