9mm 1911 opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RIA makes a 9mm 1911 now aswell. Personally, for the use described I'd probably go Spartan.

Make sure you get some Wilson 9mm mags and make sure you teach her how to shoot.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone having any problems with the 9mm Spartans or RIA's? I really like their .45's. They've proven accurate and reliable and lots of positive feedback all over the web.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a SA 1911 Target in 9mm which was totally reliable but would not group any better than 3+inches at 50 ft. I replaced it with aDan Wesson PM-9 which provides 1 inch groups at 50 ft. I also shoot an STI Trojan in 40 S&W which is an excellent performer.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
im going to have to check out sti. looks like they make a good product for the money. it says on their site that sports world carries them.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how does the emp kick? she was having trouble with recoil with a beretta px4 subcompact. just dont want to end up with another gun that she has trouble shooting. that is why i thought the 1911 would be good. she can shoot my 1911 and likes it but i cant afford two 45s. 9mm would be cheaper to feed.and a little more user friendly for her.
thanks

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how does the emp kick? she was having trouble with recoil with a beretta px4 subcompact. just dont want to end up with another gun that she has trouble shooting. that is why i thought the 1911 would be good. she can shoot my 1911 and likes it but i cant afford two 45s. 9mm would be cheaper to feed.and a little more user friendly for her.
thanks

The EMP comes with a dual recoil spring and is a fairly soft shooter. You notice it more in the .40 cal version but my g/f shoots her 9mm and my .40 EMP with no problems.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a Nowlin 9mm with a 9x23 spare bbl.,it was accurate,never jammed and the finish was flawless.The only downside was the weight. To me it was just too much gun for the 9mm.Recoil was almost like a .22. To me the Hi Power is the perfect 9mm,great ergonomics and ease of use,accurate abd reliable.Triggers are not 1911, tho they can be improved dramatically by you or a gunsmith. I have an Argentine Hi Power that has an excellent trigger right out of the box and an FN that I worked on a little,mostly polishing surfaces.I also prefer the Navidrex grips from Brownells,about as thin as I have found.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased my STI Trojan from Dawson Precision. The STI Trojan and Dan Wesson PM-9 are excellent values for the features:
Both have undercut frames.
DW has a checkred front strap while the Trojan has a scalloped front strap - both provide good grippong surfaces.
DW has a slide with a full length rib - a nice plus.
DW factory equipped FO front sight an extar from Dawson on the Trojan.
Both have been very reliable and accurate.
The DW is stainless while the Trojan is blued.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My (Belgium) Browning HP was tuned by Austin Behlert. With his tuning, he removed the mag safety (added BoMar rear sight, speet safety, reshaped trigger, Wolf spring, ramped/throated) and the trigger pull is EXCELLENT. My Browning is as good if not better than any 1911. And they can digest all the +P ammo you can feed them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom