9mm loads with clays

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just had a buddy of mine give me 8lbs of universal clays, much to my delight! I was wondering if anybody out there that had a load for that with the 125/124 grn lead round nose that would make minor power factor? On hogdon's site they have a load for it, but it is really slow (like 899fps). I've been running 800x and no. 7, but whose gonna turn down a years worth of free powder? Not me!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the above. Load mild, clays is not a particular good powder for 9mm. but you got a ton of powder for good ole .45 acp.....

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Universal Clays is different than regular Clays. It is a bit slower. Make sure you get the right load data for the powder you have.

RedRiverAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember what load I ended up w/ for clays, but I agree w/ the others. Clays is a great powder, but its really fast and if you push it in the 9 w/ lead bullets you end up w/ key holes and lots of leading.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should probably just give that to one of the guys on here that has a .45 acp to use it up. We will "Save" your 9mm from all of that nasty leading. See, we are doing you a favor!!!!!!!! :urwelcome:

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the powder is universal clays. I found some loads for the 147 gn lead bullet that run about 870fps, I should be clear of leading. I don't think I can drive the 124 gn leads fast enough to make power factor. Maybe I can find someone who wants to trade for something a little more 9mm friendly.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not shoot Universal Clays in 9mm. I only use jacketed bullets and my preferred powder is WSF. Hodgdon does list alot of data for Universal with jacketed bullets.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found some great loads for the universal,
3.3 gns with a 147 gn fnbb, shoots really clean and soft
4.2 gns with a 124 gn rn, shoots about like all my other loads, kinda snappy out of the xd tactical, mild out of the 1911, but clean all around!

Looks like im good on powder for the foreseeable future!

Latest posts

Top Bottom