Cold Bore Tested My 2023 Hunting Season Load Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20220319_153411.jpg

I usually bore just the OKH site with these ramblings.

Three shots only.

Rifle: Bergara Approach in 7mm RM.

Optic: Bushnell LRTS 3.5-18x44

I've only about 10 rounds' worth of powder left for my 150gr ELD-X/IMR-4451 load. That'll get me through the 2022 season, but I can't bring myself to pay $80-90 for a pound of gunpowder. So I broke out some new bullets and powder to try a couple weeks ago.

Bullet: 150gr Nosler Accubond Long Range, seated .040 off lands.

Powder: H4831SC

I had a partial box of the bullets that I bought, and it came with a bunch of dented junk, so I had to sift through to get some acceptable ones. Fortunately I still have a full, new box as well.

I initially shot three groups of three rounds at .040, .070, and .100 off the lands. There was a definite preference at .040. Time to play with charge weights.

Shot one group of (4) at 100 with what was a middle ground load at 63.0gr, and was under 3/4 minute. Tried another group with an additional .5gr and it opened up.

Went back and shot a confirmation group of (4) back at 63.0, and had three inside 1/2" with a wild flyer an inch and a half away...guess I missed a dented bullet.

Loaded three more and shot a group at 250...went into 1-3/4". I used my drop data or DOPE from my 150gr ELD-X load, and this Accubond load was spot on. Okay, it'll hunt. No need for further testing.

This morning I took my time firing three shots spaced out over 75 minutes as it was cold and there was almost no wind. I just used my ELD-X DOPE again, and the group (top photo) was in almost the exact same spot.

No chronograph data as I'm an idiot, but based on same drop data at this range, I'd estimate that I'm right at my other load, which is 3,005 FPS. Having almost no vertical spread, I'm not too worried about ES and SD at my hunting distances.

Here's my 150gr ELD-X cold bore shot from about two weeks ago out of the same rifle. The high shot is my old M24R in 7.62x51:

20220308_195642.jpg

Shooting setup off my patio (bipod and backpack):

20220308_195701.jpg

Through the scope pic from my M24R two weeks ago (10x) at the same distance:

20220308_195731.jpg

Anyways, I figured I'm blabbing enough in this sub-forum, so I might as well contribute a bit while I'm on it.

Have a good one.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn fine shooting. What distance is your zero? Or has your scope got BDC elevation marks? I just thought to zoom out/or in on the scope reticle pic. Answered the second part of my question.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn fine shooting. What distance is your zero? Or has your scope got BDC elevation marks? I just thought to zoom out/or in on the scope reticle pic. Answered the second part of my question.

I zero at 100 for most of my stuff. My 6.8 woods/hog rifle runs a 50 yard zero when I have a day optic on it.

Truth be told; this scope's elevation and windage adjustments are really hard to see in low light. Might be because it really isn't a hunting scope 😄. I'll put a strip of masking tape around the elevation dial and pen in my adjustments according to range before the season starts. Much easier to crank to 2.5 versus having to find a tiny .7 mil hash line.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's see your M24! I've been getting the parts together to build an M40A1 and I've been thinking I should build an M24 also.

Mine is one of the return builds that Remington Defense did around 2014. New M24 action, barrel, and trigger, but with a returned stock and bottom metal. It had a pretty well used OEF paint job on it

IMG_4763.JPG

I went and committed an act of heresy by painting over everything.

20210511_193658.jpg

Mine doesn't shoot the greatest with factory FGMM in .308 or 7.62x51...only about .9 MOA. However I've got a Varget load that puts the 175 SMK into the .4s and .5s consistently, and tracks well with the M3 turret.

An M40A1 build is on my dream list, but I don't think I'll probably ever get into it as the Unertl is just out of my price range now.

Burney

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is one of the return builds that Remington Defense did around 2014. New M24 action, barrel, and trigger, but with a returned stock and bottom metal. It had a pretty well used OEF paint job on it

View attachment 260500

I went and committed an act of heresy by painting over everything.

View attachment 260501

Mine doesn't shoot the greatest with factory FGMM in .308 or 7.62x51...only about .9 MOA. However I've got a Varget load that puts the 175 SMK into the .4s and .5s consistently, and tracks well with the M3 turret.

An M40A1 build is on my dream list, but I don't think I'll probably ever get into it as the Unertl is just out of my price range now.
Thanks for sharing! I'm not sure how "clone correct" I'm going to stay with the scope on my M40A1 build but I'm keeping everything else as close as possible. Mostly I want to put it on the the table at gun shows as a conversation starter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom