9mm question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natesmama

New to the site!
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to guns, so I need some help! In the past, I've shot with my uncles who just hand me something to shoot (usually shotguns and rifles), but I'm currently searching for a good conceal carry gun and I want to really know what I'm doing.

I have my eye on the Kahr PM9, but I've never shot it. I know that 2A has it in the rental case, but they don't have any 9mm ammo. I figured I would look around until I find some, but I've heard people talk about hollow points, metal jackets, and other things that I really don't understand yet.

When I am looking for something to test this gun with, what should I be looking for? Is certain ammo better for the range than others or does it matter?

Thanks!

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For general range use you will most often hear full metal jacket. This is a lead slug that is wrapped in a copper jacket. Some will shoot standard lead bullets. Pretty much explains itself. Just a lead slug with no casing. Hollowpoints are in the Self Defense category and generally run much more $$ per round than what you would practice with at the range.

The only time you would generally shoot hollow points at the range would be testing it in your gun. Certain guns don't like certain bullet profiles of hollow points. I haven't come across this but I'm sure others have. Some switch out the ammo they carry on a regular basis. Say every six months or annually. Just shoot the old carry ammo and load up new carry ammo. This topic has been hashed out on gun boards almost as much as the Glock vs 1911 debate.

In short. use the search function like its your best friend. Or just start going through page after page of posts and read up. You WILL learn something doing it. Trust me.

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For range ammo most people want something cheap, usually full metal jacket. Some indoor ranges won't let you shoot lead bullets or anything that attracts a magnet.

If you are planning on using it as a carry gun you may want to try some hollow point, self defence ammo to make sure it will function in that gun.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest a different route. Contact Marshall Luton at TDSA. They offer an Introduction to Firearms for Ladies that is awesome. My wife took it several years ago and loved it. She had very limited experience with handguns when she took the class and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

Here's some information on the class -

Introduction to Firearms for Ladies

Our "Ladies class" is designed to do one thing......... make ladies comfortable with the idea of handling, carrying and shooting firearms. No previous firearms experience is necessary to attend this class. It offers a very RELAXED, FUN ATMOSPHERE in which ladies enjoy learning how firearms work, how to handle them, load them, and shoot them with proficiency.

This course has been proven to benefit both the beginner as well as the experienced competition shooter. Our Ladies Class was formed just for ladies because of lot of ladies don't like learning a new skill in front of a lot of competitive men. There's no yelling, no pressure, and no demeaning, arrogant firearms instructor talking down to you. If you don't believe us, take a look at some of the student testimonials and you'll see what some of our gals have had to say about this class. If you are interested in learning about handguns, gun safety, and shooting, this class is for you! Most of the gals that come through this school don't want to leave even after the school is over.

If you want to do something nice for that special lady in your life, send her to this school so she will gain self-confidence, self-esteem and have a great time doing it.

Ladies will learn about:

Gun safety
Nomenclature (so you'll know what we're talking about)
Which type and what kind of pistol will work best for you
Proper fundamentals of shooting: stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger control
Weapon manipulation: handling, loading, unloading, and reloading techniques
Advantages and disadvantages of revolvers
Advantages and disadvantages of the semi-automatic
Safe storage vs. accessibility in the home
Sight picture vs. sight alignment
Legal requirements to carry a pistol
Other non-lethal options available to you for self defense

Required equipment:

A pistol (a revolver or semi-automatic of any caliber you feel comfortable with)
If you bring a semi-automatic you'll need a few magazines for your gun (2 will do)
400 rounds of ammunition (we sell 9mm ammo and can have some there for you if you'd like)
Eye protection (sunglasses are fine)
Ear protection (we have extra sets for you to borrow if necessary)
A chair
Money for lunch
NOTE: We have rental Glock pistols available with advanced notice. The cost for gun rental is $25.00 for the day. 9mm ammo will be available at the current market price. Let us know how we can serve you and we'll do our best to accommodate you.
If you have ever tried to learn anything from your husband, boyfriend, dad, etc., you'll know how frustrating that can be. Let us do what we do best........teach. You'll absolutely love the atmosphere we create for our students and you will learn more than you could possibly imagine. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you starting out-shooting the 'ole man! Come see us, you'll be so glad you did.

http://www.tdsatulsa.com/courses.php?course=LADIESINTRO

And their Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/TheDefensiveShootingAcademy

Please check them out. They are looking to fill a ladies class presently. I've taken an advanced combat pistol class from Marshall and he and the boys are fantastic guys.

natesmama

New to the site!
Reaction score
Marshall was one of the instructors of my concealed carry class. I enjoyed it immensely, but I can't do the Firearms for Ladies class due to a scheduling conflict. Even if I could, it wouldn't be much help at this point because I don't have a gun. I can't take any more classes until I get that part figured out, but I can't test the guns I'm interested in because I can't find any ammo. Ugh!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly prefer a compact handgun over a sub-compact. I can conceal a glock 19/23 just as easy as my 26 and the gun feels more stable when in the holster. The mini-9's are excellent and very popular, but don't discount the size up from there. I have a cw9 that I like a lot.

natesmama

New to the site!
Reaction score
You may be able to conceal them equally well, but I'm a 5'5" 110 lb long distance runner. I can barely hide my cell phone when I'm running, much less a gun. =)

And since I can only buy 1 right now, I have to get something that will meet my needs in the most situations as possible - running, at home, out with my family. I really don't want to go too small, but I also have to be practical about my body size and wardrobe without sacrificing my safety or my son's. So the pm9 seems like a good choice. If I like the way the it shoots, then I'll be happy - otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

Latest posts

Top Bottom