9mm Self Defense Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scanned through here and didn't see a thread already..
Have a M&P 9mm on the way and wanted to see what you guys recommended as a SD ammo.

Schuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up some Hornady Critical Defense today. I know it is kind of expensive, but I want that thing to mushroom flat and stop what I hit. Of course I shoot a Glock 34 that will eat anything, but I bet that M&P will be the same way. Just make sure what you get you try out at a range before you use it to save your life.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are some of the benefits and negatives of going with a higher grain bullet? Not really worried about overpenetration in home, no kids, our house and all houses in the neighborhood are all brick.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I settled on GoldDot 124gr +P.

Some recommendations from http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#9mm
NOT IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE, SO ANY BULLET ON THE LIST IS CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE.

9mm
Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any modern defensive hollowpoint load in 9mm (meaning: Gold Dots and anything introduced after them) will be fine for a private citizen. As long as you're not shooting some stupid gimmick round like Glaser Safety Slugs, or a blast-from-the-past like Hydrashoks, just shoot whatever feeds reliably in your gun.

If you like to sperge out about expansion diameter and penetration depth (God knows I do), try going to www.firearmstactical.com and www.brassfetcher.com and browsing through their test results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom