9mm Self Defense Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
curious what is wrong with a hydrashok?

They seem to work really well in everything I have ever shot them in.

Define what you mean by "work." If they just feed reliably, then that's great but the important part of the equation is what happens downrange*. If you mean you've done a full battery of ballistics gel testing according to FBI specs, then I'm wondering how you're getting such different results from everyone else.

Hydrashoks were probably the best design out there until the early 90s, but by modern standards they don't handle heavy clothing well at all; they're also pretty poor performers when they go through barriers like windshields, but that's admittedly not a huge deal if you're not a cop.

*edited to add: this isn't meant to imply that reliable feeding isn't really really important, just that there are a bevy of better projectiles out there that probably feed just as well.

Also the really sad thing about Hydrashoks is that Federal charges so damn much for them still, especially because I consistently see their HST line (which performs very well by modern standards according to tests I've seen) selling for something like 75% of the price. Hydrashoks just have great brand recognition, so people are still willing to pay lots for them.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 115gr Barnes bullets loaded by Doubletap.

Ballistics : 115gr @ 1320fps / 445ft. lbs. from a G17.

I find that it shoots very similarly to the usual 115 gr. practice ammo. I DON'T like it when my carry ammo has a radically different POI, or much sharper recoil than what I practice with.

The Barnes bullet has an excellent reputation for expanding, in differing bullet weights and velocities.

Many people, however, prefer a cartridge that has been tested for LE use, and produced on a larger scale.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scanned through here and didn't see a thread already..
Have a M&P 9mm on the way and wanted to see what you guys recommended as a SD ammo.

That is almsot akin to asking a man if he prefers blondes, brunettes or redheads. A lot of personnal preferene and the major manufacturers extol all their virtues - Speer gold Dot, Federal HST, Hornady PD and the Winchester ??? Bonded are all good choices.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Picked up some Winchester Supreme PDX 124gr +P at Walmart. $1 a round. Geez. Is that about the going rate for a good HP?

Shopping around on the interwebs can net far better deals, may have to buy a little more than 1 box of 20 though.

Ammunitiontogo has 50 round boxes of Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ for $35 bucks, that ammo makes major PF in some guns.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shopping around on the interwebs can net far better deals, may have to buy a little more than 1 box of 20 though.

Ammunitiontogo has 50 round boxes of Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ for $35 bucks, that ammo makes major PF in some guns.

OPS has it for $29.95 in Tulsa, at least they did last time I was there.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember seeing it in stores, and a trip to Google Shopping showed me that they definitely still do.

I think all the manufacturers sell their LE ammo to civilians now with the recent widespread adoption of shall-issue CCW by states. If you can't buy a certain brand that you want, there are tons of other good brands out there to try.

Hitokiri03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to be getting Winchester Bonded PDX1 147gr 9mm for my Glock 17. This is the standard round for the FBI. People have also done tests on the expansion of the rounds, and they were getting extremely consistent expansion. As soon as I get my Glock, I will be buying some of these.

Latest posts

Top Bottom