9mm WTF is this???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks all - I loaded up a thousand rounds two days ago. I just went through them and found one Maxxtech. I’ll break it apart and see what might be lurking. After cleaning I inspect the outside of the case for damage and use a go/no-go gauge on the primer pocket. Thanks to this post I will be adding interior inspection to my brass prep routine.

It just happened to be at the right angle to where I could see it when I reached for it.

I always do a visual inspection of the powder before I seat a bullet, so I would've noticed what looked to be a double charge. It's usually just a dead spider or a rock though.

Last edited:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That kinda hard to believe as much as you shoot. I see them all the time and don't go through near the rounds you do. But yea, toss them. The internal volume is much less and will raise your pressure pretty drastically. A 3/8-24 tap is about perfect for digging out the ring left in your chamber when they seperate. Those things are 10 times worse than SPP .45 brass.

I'm surprised to hear it's actually pretty common.
I guess I've just lucked out for quite a while.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It just happened to be at the right angle to where I could see it when I reached for it.

I always do a visual inspection of the powder before I seat a bullet, so I would've noticed what looked to be a double charge. It's usually just a dead spider or a rock though.

I wonder if I have had some of these go through in the past. I’ve loaded thousands of 9mm range pickup brass. I load 9mm at the bottom of the powder range. Higher pressure instead of over pressure may have occurred. Hard to say without load data for that case.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I opened the Maxxtech that I loaded a couple of days ago. Guess what - no internal sleeve. I’ll load it again and shoot it [emoji3]

Latest posts

Top Bottom