A bobcat on the highway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was driving home from Moore at 3:30am early this morning and was getting off Hefner Parkway to get on the turnpike. Just as I was exiting, a bobcat was in a slow run across the highway and sped up as I was approaching him and made it onto the other side of my path. It was a pretty large cat. I’ve lived in Oklahoma most of my life and haven’t seen one. Plenty of coyotes..sure, but I was surprised to see a bobcat for the first time playing on the basically empty highway. I just assumed they’d be more remote. Maybe we have more in the city areas than I thought?

Last edited:

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was driving home from Moore at 3:30am early this morning and was getting off Hefner Parkway to get off the turnpike. Just as I was exiting, a bobcat was in a slow run across the highway and sped up as I was approaching him and made it onto the other side of my path. It was a pretty large cat. I’ve lived in Oklahoma most of my life and haven’t seen one. Plenty of coyotes..sure, but I was surprised to see a bobcat for the first time playing on the basically empty highway. I just assumed they’d be more remote. Maybe we have more in the city areas than I thought?
Lots of bobcats bears and cougars over on my end of the state

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I saw a bobcat in Lowes parking lot in Mustang, around back. He was hiding behind the curb stalking some geese that were in the grass near him.
It was'nt black

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are lots of bobcats in most all metro areas. We had them in Houston, TX and about. They will take small pets just like coyotes except they do it solo. I have a friend in Frisco, TX who's neighbor had a beagle taken out of her backyard by a bobcat. Other neighbors had photos of the cat with kittens sitting on porches in the neighborhood out of the rain. Her den was in a storm drain along the street. I'll see if I can locate one of the pics. Here is a pic of a friends porch motion activated doorbell cam in Clear Lake, TX outside Houston.

41134514_10212250165585258_5929690578240405504_n.jpg

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are lots of bobcats in most all metro areas. We had them in Houston, TX and about. They will take small pets just like coyotes except they do it solo. I have a friend in Frisco, TX who's neighbor had a beagle taken out of her backyard by a bobcat. Other neighbors had photos of the cat with kittens sitting on porches in the neighborhood out of the rain. Her den was in a storm drain along the street. I'll see if I can locate one of the pics. Here is a pic of a friends porch motion activated doorbell cam in Clear Lake, TX outside Houston.

41134514_10212250165585258_5929690578240405504_n.jpg
That is a big cat right there.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't find the porch pic with kits. Here is a flower bed photo in Christie Ranch subdivision in Frisco, TX.View attachment 128969

Frisco was also experiencing an issue with an aggressive coyote. Rare but it happens.https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/12/18/possible-aggressive-coyote-removed-attacks/

Impressive photo. I live in a rural acreage development and have caught only a fleeting glimpse of a bobcat. Coyotes are a regular sight, even in the daytime. The coyotes are particularly fond of the fruit from my persimmon tree, especially since it also attracts deer.

I used to own a farm in central KS and gave a trapper permission to set traps one winter. He reported taking 5 bobcats from the creek bottom that crossed the farm. I was surprised by the number.

Latest posts

Top Bottom