A couple of trout - finally!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my wife to Tenkiller Tuesday and we caught 20 rainbow trout and kept these 6...

These first four trout are 15", 13" 14" and 14"...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_082_1_zpsd02c4b49.jpg

These two trout are 11" and 14 1/2"...
i193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_087_1_zpsdeab4c4c.jpg

We got below the dam @ 6:35 am and I fly fished until 9:00 pm, when they then opened 2 gates. The four trout in the picture were caught on an Adam's Parachute fly...

After they opened the gates at 9:00, I went down stream 150-200 yds. and started fishing with a spinning rod and gold colored 3/16 oz. spoon. Over the next couple of hours, I caught and landed 13 trout, as big as or bigger than the ones in the pictures. I lost several rainbows that would have well exceeded 5 pounds and just before getting them in the net, they would leap out of the water, shake their head and spit that treble hooked spoon right back at me...

Terry and I saw no less than 10 trout that would have weighted somewhere around 10-15+ pounds but, they wanted no part of and any lure or bait that we offered them...

After meeting back up with Terry, after I had already had my limit of fish, she said she never got a single strike where she was fishing at. I told her to put her waders on and follow me. I took her to where I had caught my other fish at and on her first case, she hooked into a BIG rainbow, and when is was about 2 feet from the landing new, it jumped, shook it's head and decided it had other plans. She caught the two trout in the second picture and lost 8 other fish that was as big as or bigger than the ones I caught. It was hard to imagine how easy it was for them trout to throw a lure with a treble hook in it. She got the fish in close enough, that you could plainly see the hooks completely in their mouth but, somehow they still managed to spit them out...

Around 4:00 that afternoon, they opened third gate, and the fish just stopped biting. 11 straight hours of fishing but, it sure was fun...

Like last time, we stopped by the Amish Restaurant in Choteau and gave out trout to the lady's in their. They were glad to get them and my wife and I had a good supper, before heading back home, later that evening...

All in all, this turned out be a pretty doggone good fishing trip....

DAVID

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear you finally got into them! I read on the ODW fishing report that they had released some larger trout and it looks like you were a reciepient of that. Great day!

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you and Terry finally got into some good fish! I'm in the process of piecing together a fishing boat to use on the lake this summer. Hopefully you and Terry can join us for a fishing trip or two. I still know a few spots to troll for white bass.

Frank

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis - it was pretty neat watching school after of trout heading towards the dam, right after they started letting water out the gates. We had the place to our selves most of the day and it was a lot of fun watching those trout sail out of the water to bust that floating dry fly. Most every trout I saw jump, I cast to the middle of the "splash" and within seconds, a trout would bust my fly....

Mr. Frank - looking forward to fishing with you again and I hope you can get your boat set up the way you want. If you need any help, just let me know....

DAVID

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem guys and we did have a good trip...

The water was clear, as I could see the rocks on the bottom when I was standing in chest deep water...

If any of you go there,stay on the trail and go through the woods about 200 yds. and look in that open pool just before where the drop off is. This is where we saw the 10+ pound rainbow trout and maybe you can get one of them to hit for you. Thinking back on it now, I really wish that I would have taken my fly rod down there. I would have tied on either a pink or olive scud first and then a black ant in something like a size 12. Like they say, hind sight is always 20/20. Next time though, since I now know what to expect, I'll be a little better prepared....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom