A Good Starter Kit for Reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've been using my lee kit for about 3 years now, loaded thousands of rounds, and still like it alot. it's only a single stage setup but you'd be surprised how efficient you can get with it. haven't gotten tired of it at all. the only thing i upgraded was a lyman electric powder dispenser. oh and for pistol gun powder, the lee powder dispenser that comes with the kit is fantastically fast and accurate. kinda not a whole ton of fun for larger grain rifle powders though. if you're on a bit of a budget i'd definitely recommend a similar setup. being a single stage, it's especially great for starting out...and being low cost, you're really not going to lose money if you decide to upgrade to a progressive press and sell the lee. but if you have some extra cash lyman, hornady, and dillon all make very good single stage presses.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Also check out www.glockpost.com. Forum was started when many of the glocktalk reloading forum regulars who got tired of being regulated over at GT. Lots of good reloading experience.

My advice is forget the kits, they are often not packaged with the best equipment.

If you are wanting to go cheap, get a Lee Classic Turret with all the whistles. Search for kempf gun shop, I think he has kits with all the options on it such as the powder measure, primer dispenser, etc. Four pulls of the handle = one round of ammunition.

If you can spend a little more, go with the Dillon 550. It will last you the rest of your life. Anything goes wrong, Dillon fixes it for free. It will crank out rounds as long as you can. One pull of the handle = one round of ammunition. I even tell people who aren't sure if reloading is for them to go with the 550 because it will maintain 80-85% of its retail price selling on the used market. It is also an extremely simple press in everything that it does which means easy to use and nothing too complicated to break or cause problems.

You will need all the other items like a scale, load manual, etc. But I advise buying outside of a kit gets the best items.

Good luck,

Alan

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but if you have some extra cash lyman, hornady, and dillon all make very good single stage presses.

Unfortunately don't have much left after building my new rifle, so I went ahead and ordered the Lee Kit.

Luckily, I got the Lee Kit for around $75, so I think it will work fine for now and like you said, I can always upgrade later without being out too much money.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since your just getting started, I wouldn't spend a lot of money until you know you are going to enjoy it. I recommend the Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index Deluxe Kit. They sell at Midway for $110.00, Comes with everything you need but dies. The turret press gives you a little more speed than a single stage, with more control that a beginner needs.
have Fun

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best reloading manual out there for a beginner in my opinion is Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. Get it from http://www.midwayusa.com Its much cheaper from midway than from any of the book sellers. Also check out http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/loadlist.asp You can get a wealth of loading data there. As with anything else on the internet, check with alternate sources to be safe. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom