Reloading newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with all this information you have gotte. We all have said get the manual, get the manual, get the manual. Before you buy, I have a couple of questions. Have you ever reloaded ammo be fore? what type of ammo are you wanting to reload? Are you looking to make bulk ammo. Precision, plinking, or hunting ammo. Have you ever seen reloading being done? This can be a rabbit hole that goes deep.

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Special Hen
Reaction score
with all this information you have gotte. We all have said get the manual, get the manual, get the manual. Before you buy, I have a couple of questions. Have you ever reloaded ammo be fore? what type of ammo are you wanting to reload? Are you looking to make bulk ammo. Precision, plinking, or hunting ammo. Have you ever seen reloading being done? This can be a rabbit hole that goes deep.
I borrowed an RCBS Rock Chucker and a manual and reloaded about 40 rds of 30-06. That was 20 yrs ago. I was proud of myself and still have a couple of the rounds for a momento. It got in my blood then and about 10 yrs ago I bought a brand new Dillon 550 in the box and was planning on building a work bench then life happened and I had to sell it before I even unboxed it. Now I have come across this deal and the bug bit me again. I finally got a pic of the press I'm going to buy. It's bare bones to me. That's why I made this post to get an idea of all the attachments that go to it that I need to find or buy elsewhere. I'll post a pic of the press.
IMG_9225.jpg
IMG_9226.jpg

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on reloading 44 mag, 38 special, 9mm and 45acp. Rifle calibers will be .243, .223/5.56, .308/7.62x51, .30 carbine. Just to start lol

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I borrowed an RCBS Rock Chucker and a manual and reloaded about 40 rds of 30-06. That was 20 yrs ago. I was proud of myself and still have a couple of the rounds for a momento. It got in my blood then and about 10 yrs ago I bought a brand new Dillon 550 in the box and was planning on building a work bench then life happened and I had to sell it before I even unboxed it. Now I have come across this deal and the bug bit me again. I finally got a pic of the press I'm going to buy. It's bare bones to me. That's why I made this post to get an idea of all the attachments that go to it that I need to find or buy elsewhere. I'll post a pic of the press.View attachment 436606View attachment 436607
Is that all you got? No more parts or pieces? Just the press and the primer assembly? If that’s it……..we’ve got a bunch of work to do.

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that all you got? No more parts or pieces? Just the press and the primer assembly? If that’s it……..we’ve got a bunch of work to do.
Yep, that's all it comes with. That's why I'm asking what the hell do I need to get this thing Makin bullets!!! I was hoping that list of reloading supplies was more help but I may just have to dig through shop where the stuff is stored and hope find enough components to get it going. But first I need a list of parts so I know what to look for lol

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Oh lawd.... How long have you been here? He doesn't know how dangerous you are. Before too long he'll be meeting you at the Harps in Inola not knowing that you're about to pass along a dangerous loading addiction.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, that's all it comes with. That's why I'm asking what the hell do I need to get this thing Makin bullets!!! I was hoping that list of reloading supplies was more help but I may just have to dig through shop where the stuff is stored and hope find enough components to get it going. But first I need a list of parts so I know what to look for lol
Are you, or the person that is administering this affair, opposed to someone going to take a look and help sort everything out? That's likely the easiest way to go about things.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go
I borrowed an RCBS Rock Chucker and a manual and reloaded about 40 rds of 30-06. That was 20 yrs ago. I was proud of myself and still have a couple of the rounds for a momento. It got in my blood then and about 10 yrs ago I bought a brand new Dillon 550 in the box and was planning on building a work bench then life happened and I had to sell it before I even unboxed it. Now I have come across this deal and the bug bit me again. I finally got a pic of the press I'm going to buy. It's bare bones to me. That's why I made this post to get an idea of all the attachments that go to it that I need to find or buy elsewhere. I'll post a pic of the press.View attachment 436606View attachment 436607
Go to the Dillon website and look at the complete rig. That will at least give you an idea what you're looking for. BL550 See if you can download the manual, which should give you a better idea what comes with it. As it sits I don't think it's worth $440, and you're still going to need a couple of hundred dollars of other parts unless they have the dies & conversion kits for the calibers you need or want.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What was on that list will not help you get those parts turned into a functioning press. I don’t know what you paid for it……..I’m gonna be real honest with you…….if it was more than about $100 you are probably going to have near new price in it by the time you get all the missing stuff. Now that we have that out of the way. Being as you don’t know much about what you need my suggestion for you would be to call Dillon and schedule sending it to them. I’ve never sent one to them but I’ve heard they’ll replace all missing pieces pretty much making it new. I’m sure they can give you an estimate. I pieced together and worked over several Dillons and if I were closer to you I’d help you. In my educated guessing opinion you’re gonna need about $300 to get it ready to accept dies and make ammo. You’re missing, 2 primer slides, atleast 1 primer mag tube, 2 primer pickup tubes and a powder measurer with 2 charge bars, 2 toolhead pins and atleast 1 toolhead. It looks like you do have one Shellplate in the press. The buttons are gone but those will come with caliber conversions. Man this isn’t what I expected you to get from a $50k collection.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well it sounds like you’re ready to start and have some kind of clue. I had to do a bunch of YouTube U and questions from here. I had been around reloading a little before I really got into it. I am still a newbie myself. Best suggestion is get a singe stage press and learn step by step. Crawl, Walk, Run. You’re trying to run from the start. JMO

Latest posts

Top Bottom