Reloading newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to purchase a used Dillon 550 progressive press. The owner has past away and the wife is selling all his inventory. My problem is I don't know what all I need to start reloading. The basics I get, a press, dies, brass, primers, powder and projectiles. Beyond that I need some guidance. So starting with the basic 550, (there was not any accessories, or attachments on the press.) What is the basic necessities for making boolits? I will be doing rifle and pistol calibers. All feed back is welcome. As a thank you for you insight, once I have purchased all necessary equipment. I will share the rest of the loot with the group. I was told the husband had over $50,000 in reloading supplies and equipment. It's all going to be for sale after I get mine.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to another addiction. The first and most important place to start would be purchasing a couple really good reloading manuals, I believe Lyman is on their 51st addition. Read everything before all the recipes start….and then read it again. That will give you a good basic understanding of the process. And ask lots of questions would be my second but of advice.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take every grain of advice you get off OSA or other social media and compare it to what is in the reloading manual. The folks that publish those have loaded millions of rounds.
Not saying where, but I've ran across some info that could get someone hurt if one followed the recipe that was given.
Stay safe and never run the TV or Radio when reloading. Put 100% of your concentration into looking at every powder charge coming across the reloader before a bullet is pressed in.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe consider picking up a simple single stage to learn on. I know you can run a progressive with just 1 die, but this is an activity where learning the fundamentals and going SLOW has zero cost/drawback.

Also, use a heavy, heavy, heavy, table for your press. Especially important for progressive presses.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a newer reloaded my self. I have only been reloading seriously for a couple of years now. there are a lot of guys on here that have been loading a lot longer then me. one thing have learned is ask questions. I use the Hornady reloading book. YouTube university helps a lot. if you got someone to talk to and work with helps wonders.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like mentioned above get a manual for the 550 if it doesn’t come with one. If this guy had $50k in reloading stuff there should be a very very large amount of stuff. Unless of course he way over payed or that’s a number the fella just threw out at whoever told you that. Anyhow what I’m saying is if there’s that much money in reloading stuff I’m sure he didn’t just have a bare bones 550. When you move the press you very well might lose some small pieces like buttons and toolhead pins. Also the press could very well be still loaded with primers. I’d check the vertical black tube before you go to tilt twisting it and moving it unless you wanna chase primers. Look for anything in small blue plastic boxes. The contents in these boxes I mention could be dies or conversion kits. Look for toolheads. They’ll be an aluminum square shaped block with 4 threaded holes that hold dies. Also be on the lookout for silver tubes with little plastic tips on them (pickup tubes and mag tubes for primers). If you don’t get a bunch of small parts with the press (could be in a bag or in a blue box) then I suggest you order a “Dillon 550 spare parts kit”. It’ll have all the little parts that may shutdown a reloading session. Post up some pics of the haul when you get it home and I among others can see what you may or may not need.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like mentioned above get a manual for the 550 if it doesn’t come with one. If this guy had $50k in reloading stuff there should be a very very large amount of stuff. Unless of course he way over payed or that’s a number the fella just threw out at whoever told you that. Anyhow what I’m saying is if there’s that much money in reloading stuff I’m sure he didn’t just have a bare bones 550. When you move the press you very well might lose some small pieces like buttons and toolhead pins. Also the press could very well be still loaded with primers. I’d check the vertical black tube before you go to tilt twisting it and moving it unless you wanna chase primers. Look for anything in small blue plastic boxes. The contents in these boxes I mention could be dies or conversion kits. Look for toolheads. They’ll be an aluminum square shaped block with 4 threaded holes that hold dies. Also be on the lookout for silver tubes with little plastic tips on them (pickup tubes and mag tubes for primers). If you don’t get a bunch of small parts with the press (could be in a bag or in a blue box) then I suggest you order a “Dillon 550 spare parts kit”. It’ll have all the little parts that may shutdown a reloading session. Post up some pics of the haul when you get it home and I among others can see what you may or may not need.
I don't have a Dillon, being a Hornady progressive guy, but the advice is spot on for either brand.
All the little accessories can cost a ton of money to replace when you find out they are required to make the press produce bullets.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a Dillon, being a Hornady progressive guy, but the advice is spot on for either brand.
All the little accessories can cost a ton of money to replace when you find out they are required to make the press produce bullets.
Yessir below is a picture of my 550 spare parts.
4B9288B1-FAF6-4C3D-9033-86018A5332D2.jpeg

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my 550 for pistol calibers. Rifle calibers I load on a single stage press. I'm generally shooting rifles for groups rather than mag dumps. I'd google dillon 550b caliber conversion cross reference chart. May save you from buying parts you don't need. A good scale or balance makes life a lot easier. Keep only one powder at a time in your work area. Don't leave powder in the hopper. You probably won't save money but you may shoot more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom