A question for your ag. and lawn care experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Roundup to control grass and weeds like I'm sure many of you do. I normally mix up a batch in a 10 gal sprayer tank. This most recent batch I made up is about a month old. When I used it the other day, it seemed to have no effect on the vegetation I used it on. So my question is does Roundup degrade once it has been mixed and sits in a tank after a few weeks? I always make sure it is well stirred up after setting. The premixed stuff you buy in hand held spray bottles seems to last a whole season. So what's the deal?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had that issue. However, depending on what you sprayed it on, it could be the weather. Its most effective above 80 degrees or so, its taken in faster as the foliage isnt dormant, osmosis and photosynthesis is slower. Typically 2-3 days or more in cooler weather vs the 20 min to 24 hours they advertise.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont know about the effectiveness of it but i know when it sits for a long time it will leave a film and stop up a sprayer, and as mentioned when it is cooler as it is now it take what seems like forever same way in early spring.
Yeah I made the mistake one year of leaving a partial batch in the tank over the winter. It made quite a mess gumming up the intake filter screen. We will be getting a freeze in the next week or two which should take care of the weed problems and I will clean out the tank and winterize it. Was just wondering why it did nothing after this last application,.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every liquid chemical needs shaken real good before mixing. Also shake it good before each use when mixed in sprayer. I leave a 2 gallon sprayer mixed up all summer long and use it up and clean/rinse the sprayer upon storage. A month old should have no affect on Roundup, more than that might affect it gradually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom