Advice on choosing between AR15 and PTR .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both, the AR15 and a PTR91. The PTR91 that I bought had problems first time out to the range. Broken bolt after 2 mags. Sent it back to PTR and they repaired it by replacing the American made bolt with an original HK bolt. Works Ok now.

Now I hear they are having problems with some of their trunions being to soft. I hear this on some of the newer GI models.

Plus side, 20 round aluminum mags are dirt cheap. 98 cents a piece!

In any case, I would get the AR15. Easy to fix. Don't get me wrong I like the 91 but I would not want to deal with those kind of problems again after I drop $1000 bucks for a new rifle. To this day my PTR 91 will not feed surplus ammo. Reason has something to do with the type of barrel I have. The rifle will shoot factory .308 all day. My point? If it won't feed every kind of ammo I buy then I don't want it. My AR15 does. Want a 91? Buy a real HK91 or buy the JLD built 91 clone. JMO....

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Want a 91? Buy a real HK91 or buy the JLD built 91 clone. JMO....

As I mentioned above: look for one of the late 80s-early 90s Greek Springfield imports (not their later aluminum receivered junk) or a Portuguese PARS import; 2nd only the the real German 91, at half the price, and at about the same price point as a new PTR. All licensed built mil-spec parts, built by military factories. Nice examples come up for sale off and on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom