After High School

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What did you do after High School?

• 2 Year College

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • 4 Year College

Votes: 80 40.4%
  • Military

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • Workforce

Votes: 38 19.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Veggie, Veggie sorry you had a bad experience with the interest inventory thing. You must have gotten hold of some fly by night thing. The testing industry is filled with some great and very effective stuff now. This one is considered one of the best for adults! https://www.cpp.com/pdfs/smp284104.pdf

To the author of this thread don't let one guy with a bad experience using a cheap inventory keep you from considering this avenue. Anything that requires preferences can be manipulated if that is one's goal. You want honest information. A good inventory will provide that for you if you do your part. :thumb:

Sounds like Veggie had a bad experience because he didn't put honest effort in it. He chose to manipulate the opportunity and content of the inventory. Most of us get out of something about what we put into it. Go into this with a strong desire to get results and good things will come of it. Interest inventories are proven to be effective.

Pretty sure Oklahoma CareerTech isn't fly-by-night.

I also don't appreciate being falsely accused of not putting forth an honest effort. Interests and abilities change over time, especially in younger people.

Some of us also view two years as an exceptionally long time to be on one job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow, some great advice in this thread Been. I think whatever you do, you're on the right track. This is how to get where you want to go, by aquiring information and making educated decisions. Filter as needed, and then do what you feel is best.

As for me, I joined the Navy at 18. Spent 22 years as a Corpsman (with the Marines...so I know little about the "real" Navy). Retired as Senior Chief at a young age. Have a degree in Business, which I got before I left the military. I now work for the .gov and I have an easy life/no stress. I could work at Burger King and still make a nice living (with my retirement and disability pay).

My military advice (even though you didn't ask):

The key to the military is that you have to survive it. Not as easy to do in this day and age. Also, if you get married....staying married is the hard part. The military is VERY hard on families. Doesn't do you any good to retire as a Master Chief if you have nothing to go home to after 20 years. So you really have to learn how to balance what is good for your familiy and what is good for your career (hence why I wasn't a Master Chief). If you stay in the military, make rank as fast as you can before you have a family. That means making sacrifices for your career as early as you can (that means less sacrifices later). If and when you get married, go overseas...stack away COLA (Cost of Living Allowances) in the bank...it'll come in handy when you retire. Make sure to get a degree (easy to do in a 20 year career...take advantage of the Navy's money). You'll need the paper to get a job....even an easy job, when you get out. Then retire and chill. Sounds easy, but it isn't.

In hindsight would I do it again? Not really sure. 20 years in the military can have its fun times, but can also feel like being in prison. My best time in the military...getting out. Had some good times, but I feel free now.

I concur!!! 21yrs US Army, 10 in the Infantry, last 11 working EOD, 2 combat tours. After 21yrs I went into LE doing 5yrs 2 as SERT/same as SWAT. Got picked up into FED.GOV LE and worked 4yrs at the CDC(Lots of fun there),them moved out here to work at MCAAP and got deployed to Iraq for 2yrs. Shot twice, fragged once on the day I landed in country. Four months later I had my second vehicle blown out from under me, and now have had 4 out of 7 cervical vertebre fuzed in my neck do to injuries recieved, I'm now permantly disabled.

Latest posts

Top Bottom