Officers Candidate School - General Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, you might want to listen to the latest episode of Jack Carr’s Danger Close podcast, which features Sean Parnell. Parnell graduated college and went into OCS, and he talks a little bit about the process. (Parnell wrote the memoir Outlaw Platoon about his time as a platoon commander in Afghanistan, which I cannot recommend highly enough.)

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, you might want to listen to the latest episode of Jack Carr’s Danger Close podcast, which features Sean Parnell. Parnell graduated college and went into OCS, and he talks a little bit about the process. (Parnell wrote the memoir Outlaw Platoon about his time as a platoon commander in Afghanistan, which I cannot recommend highly enough.)
Sweet. I'm always looking for a new podcast to list to. Will find it for my long commute to work in the morning. Thanks for the recommendation.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a question for you Vets or those that know a fair amount about the military. Not specifically the Army but if you have specific intel about this branch then even better. Not sure I'll even ask the question properly, so bear with me/my question.

Can yall educate me about an individual going into Officers Candidate School. What happens after boot camp compared to a kid going into the military as an 18 year old right out of HS? What is your experience or what have you seen these individuals who go through Officers Candidate School do after 4 years in, 10 years in, etc? How do these careers generally differ than a kid joining the military at 18-19 years old.

I can elaborate on why Im asking this if needed. Thanks for any insight into this.
Not specifically OCS track, but my son went through the Navy Medical Program to become a doctor. Everyone has heard of the 90 day wonder officers. Well, he was a 45 day wonder. Went for 45 days in Rhode Island to learn how to salute, wear officer uniform. Entered/exited 45 day program as a 2nd Lt, never lower rank. Stationed first year residency at Bremerton Naval Base, last two years residency at Bethesda Naval Hospital. Then, served 6 years at Bethesda Naval Hospital, several at Camp LeJeune as Navy provides Marine medical staff, got several promotions, forget at what rank he exited, total years served, but Medical School was counted at some percentage. Never at rank below 2Lr.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a friendly FYI & I bet your son would back me up - as an officer in the USN, he was NEVER a Second Lieutenant. Yes, his initial rank insignia was a gold bar which indicates a 2LT in every other service (O-1 for pay classification purposes) but he was called ENSIGN for rank designation. Given he was in the medical field, most likely he was called DOCTOR more often than his rank. His rank progression would have been to LT(j.g.) - Lieutenant, Junior Grade; LT - Lieutenant; LTCDR -Lieutenant Commander.

Georgie 1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a question for you Vets or those that know a fair amount about the military. Not specifically the Army but if you have specific intel about this branch then even better. Not sure I'll even ask the question properly, so bear with me/my question.

Can yall educate me about an individual going into Officers Candidate School. What happens after boot camp compared to a kid going into the military as an 18 year old right out of HS? What is your experience or what have you seen these individuals who go through Officers Candidate School do after 4 years in, 10 years in, etc? How do these careers generally differ than a kid joining the military at 18-19 years old.

I can elaborate on why Im asking this if needed. Thanks for any insight into this.
I was an enlisted (E6) in the Army for 8 yrs. I had a college degree and applied to get a commission in the in the Air Force. I was accepted and went to OCS in Lackland AFB. I retired after 20 years of combined service in Army and Air Force.

Latest posts

Top Bottom