Officers Candidate School - General Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very much incorrect on USMA entering as O-2. During VN, promotion to O-2 occurred at 18 months TIS/TIG. My class at Ft. Sill on Officer Basic was 50% USNA graduates on the USMC option. Every one of them were O-1, just like me coming from ROTC.
I respectfully disagree with this comment!
Was sent from basic at Ft Leonardwood to prep ocs at Ft Sill in 1968. In my prep ocs class myself an 32 other classmates dropped out of OCS. Everyone of us were college grads. We immediately got orders to Vietnam. Befor sending us home for 10 days leave then onto Vietnam a Major met with us and offered us an 18 week training opportunity called ACL. It stood for Artillery Combat Leadership school. If we successfully completed the 18 week school, we’d be given E5 rank before going over. The honor graduate in our class would be given E6 rank😱👍👏👏👏.

All 32 of us successfully completed the school and were Spec. 5s. Our honor graduate a Ceramic Engineer from Ohio State, was made Staff Sergeant! So in 11 months we were E5 and the Ohio State guy was E6! True story. I spent my time as a 13 Ecko in Vietnam at e5 paygrade.
I was assigned OP CON to 2nd of the 2n Mech as a forward observer calling in fire missions . Spent 2 wks in a Fire Direction Center before going out with them. Also did the same thing for1st of the 2 nd black Scarfs too. All this was in the Big Red One aka 1st Infantry Division. We were up near the fish hook nw of Saigon about 40 miles

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, you might want to listen to the latest episode of Jack Carr’s Danger Close podcast, which features Sean Parnell. Parnell graduated college and went into OCS, and he talks a little bit about the process. (Parnell wrote the memoir Outlaw Platoon about his time as a platoon commander in Afghanistan, which I cannot recommend highly enough.)
Listened to it this morning on the way to work. What a great interview. Started the next podcast on the way home. So far, it's very interesting topics and conversation. Thanks for the heads up.

scramp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My physical therapist got her PT doctorate from the Army. They do a program with Baylor U in Texas that when you come out you owe them some time. She served 8 years, but I don’t know if that was what she was required to serve. It’s a great was to get a free doctorate without a ton of loans while serving your country.

She goes to reunions and a lot of her classmates are retiring as colonels with full pensions. She wishes she had stayed in. The medical fields aren’t subject to the BS the regular Army endures. She was stationed at Fort Bragg (now PC Fort Liberty). PT will always be in the rear with the gear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom