after reading through the debt threads id like to share some easy recipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you guys can at least eat better! :spaghetti:

just going to share two here since I know this isnt really the place to swap recipes, im not here to chickify the place LOL

White Bean and Sausage Rigatoni <-- one of my favorite recipes and cheap to make around 8$ total and it feeds my family of 3 dinner and lunch the next day if paired with a salad

8 oz (1/2 box) of rigatoni pasta > 1.00 great value brand at walmart
one package of smoke sausage I use butterball smoked turkey sausage
1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatos undrained
1 15oz can of white beans
a tsp or two of dried basil if you like it.

cook the pasta
in another skillet or pot combine the beans, meat, tomatos and basil
basically just heat everything through and then mix in the pasta

This is a fast easy cheap meal.
Crock Pot Refried beans
INGREDIENTS
2 lbs pinto beans
1 large onion, chopped
4 Tbsp. jarred minced garlic
*Up to 2 1/2 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cumin
10 cups hot water

* You can use as little as 1 Tbsp. It depends on how you like your beans.
Combine all the ingredients in the crockpot. Remove any floating beans. Cover, and cook on HIGH for 4 hours and on LOW for 2 hours.
You can eat these just like regular brown beans they are delicious even without any meat to make 'refried beans' you will need a food processor or blender or I guess you could mash them by hand or maybe with a mixer?

I use a food processor and just spoon out the beans (slotted spoon so they aren't runny) and if they are a litte to dry add some juice and blend away.

Thats it, its extremely easy and I buy the light and fluffy flour tortillas and put about 25 bean burritos in the freezer, you can take them out and microwave them and they are awesome. You can also buy a .50 can of great value hot dog chili and thin it down with a little bit of water for chili burritos. This make ALOT of beans.

Enjoy, I really hope this helps some of you eat a little better :-) Good food does not have to be super expensive. this site is where I got the beans recipe its really great http://penniesandpancakes.blogspot.com/

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Subprep ... au contraire! You'd be surprised how many times a recipe thread gets going here in one way or another ... Some of these guys can really cook! I've posted my homemade bread recipe several times ... Maybe I should again ... since we (the collective here) are pinching pennies again ... There was a ramen noodle thread here here not too long ago that had some amazing ideas in it ...

BTW, I'm glad to see you posting! :heart:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks BB your bread is legendary in my house, If I can make bread anyone can! Edited to add that it just makes me sad when people don't eat well :-/ there really is no reason to suffer without food when so many easy cheap simple foods can be made I think my mothering instinct kicks in LOL

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks BB your bread is legendary in my house, If I can make bread anyone can! Edited to add that it just makes me sad when people don't eat well :-/ there really is no reason to suffer without food when so many easy cheap simple foods can be made I think my mothering instinct kicks in LOL

It's the only recipe I use now. Well ... except for some potato rolls everyonceinawhile ... It's just too easy. I've been watching the thrift stores for a breadmaker ... just because I "need" one more gadget to sit on the counter! LOL :) But until I find one, I'll keep using that recipe ... it's just too easy ... And I can make a TON of bread for the price of a loaf from the store. With NO chemicals in it, even ... :woot:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed here in Tulsa - usual goods like soap, sugar etc...are cheaper at "gringo" stores like Reasor's, Warehouse Mkt...
Meat, fruit, veggies are much cheaper (and usually better) at Las Americas or Nam Hai.
You can buy the stuff to make steak tortas with fresh veggies for 8 people for twenty bucks at Las Americas.
For the same twenty, you can get enough fresh veggies and rice (add chicken, pork, deer) to make a fantastic stir-fry that'll feed you for days....

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when so many easy cheap simple foods can be made

Any recipes for meals that satisfy the following requirements:

1) Can be made in 5 minutes or less
2) Can be made with ingredients that have a shelf life longer than a week
3) Don't require much cleanup, if any

Yes, I'm a bachelor "cooking" for myself :wink2:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any recipes for meals that satisfy the following requirements:

1) Can be made in 5 minutes or less
2) Can be made with ingredients that have a shelf life longer than a week
3) Don't require much cleanup, if any

Yes, I'm a bachelor "cooking" for myself :wink2:

try the white bean and sausage rigatoni, it does take about 15 mins to make but that is mostly the pasta cooking (to cook perfect pasta - boil water, put pasta in water bring back to a boil then turn off for 10-12 minutes) You can shortcut the other stuff to make this a one pot meal just drain your pasta and add everything in the same pot and make sure its heated through, Super easy cleanup and if your just eating for one it should last you 3-5 days.

Another quick pasta meal
bowties w/sweet sausage and peppers
8 oz bowtie shaped pasta
12 oz spicy italian sausage links
2 sm- med red bell peppers
1/2 veg or beef broth <-- you can buy this in a small can
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup of fresh parsley if you like it

cook pasta
while that is cooking cut up the sausage and peppers and cook them in a pan
add the broth and pepper bring to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer ( basically just heat it up) then mix it all together

I suppose you could grill the sausage and peppers if it makes you feel more manly LOL anyway this is another recipe that you could eat on for a few days or freeze in some glad ware for later.

seriously though if you don't have one you should get a crock pot. All bachelors should have a crock pot <-- it's like a kitchen wife that doesn't ***** all the time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom