Recipe I had to share.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made this tonight and is was very good. Also lower carb for you fellow diabetics out there.

[Broken External Image]

2 Small to Medium spaghetti squash
1 lb Italian sausage (or use ground turkey if watching fat, we did and it was great)
2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce.
2 tablespoons basil
½ cup ricotta cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (plus extra for topping)
Olive oil
salt & pepper

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Wash spaghetti squash, cut off stem and slice squash lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and gunk. Brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place in baking dish (9×13 works well) with a little water in the bottom of the dish - as the squash cooks, you can add more water if it dries up. Roast for 45-60 minutes, depending on squash size, or until inside is soft and easily “fluffs” with a fork. It will look like very tiny spaghetti noodles… hence the name, cool huh? Or microwave whole for 25 to 30 minutes before cutting and cleaning. Be sure to cut off the stem or it will burn during the last step.

While squash is roasting, brown Italian sausage in large skillet over medium heat. Remove sausage from the pan and set aside.

If you are using a jar sauce, add that to the pan now and simmer. Add the sausage back into the sauce.

In a bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, and fresh basil, set aside.

When squash is tender, remove from oven and using a fork, scoop, fluff, flake, scrape, whatever you’d like to call it, to get the inside of the squash to look like spaghetti noodles. You don’t have to get at ALL of the squash, you can scoop more later when you get to the bottom after it’s been filled and you’re enjoying it for dinner.

Now we FILL THEM! Start with a scoop of the red sauce, followed by a layer of the cheese mixture, (you can add extra mozzarella on each layer too!) and repeat the layers until you’ve over filled your squash, ending with a layer of red sauce and then topping them with mozzarella. Trust me. Over fill ‘em.

Turn the oven to broil and put them back in to brown up the cheesy top.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hungry...all I had was a sammich.

Why? Nowadays it is easy to cook a good meal.

Looks great Rick. Might have to try this one.

Everyone really liked it. Only hard part was we started out trying to use the oven method to cook the squash and forgot to bring in the chainsaw to cut them in half with. Them things are tough before cooking. :D

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good. My wife does a lot of spaghetti squash recipes to help keep my fat ass from falling over dead to early. I'm not really sure why I have a million dollar life insurance policy.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good. My wife does a lot of spaghetti squash recipes to help keep my fat ass from falling over dead to early. I'm not really sure why I have a million dollar life insurance policy.

In case you do fall over dead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom