Air conditioner - outside coil cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just moved from arizona, we don't have vegetation that clogs up our AC units. Primarily the monsoons in the summer would get any crud off of it with a high winds and rains.

So should I hit the AC units with a power washer, or is a normal hose nozzle strong enough to get whatever the hell cottonwood is off of the coils?
Regular hose and sprayer. Don’t make it to tight of a stream or it can bend the fins. I’d bet the bressure washer will probably bent the fins like crazy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had rinsed out my air conditioner's outside coils this spring. Just did it again this morning, they we full of dirt etc again. I'm glad I noticed when I mowed a few days ago, the a/c is getting a pretty good workout today. Just surprised they got so filthy again so quickly.
Thanks for the heads up!
One more chore to be taken care of tomorrow. We got a new heat pump system put in four years ago and have not cleaned the outside unit since then.
Our AC has been having issues keeping up the last few days and I'm betting this is the culprit.

OP, do not use a pressure washer unless your willing to buy a new unit.

Last edited:

porscheman2944

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just moved from arizona, we don't have vegetation that clogs up our AC units. Primarily the monsoons in the summer would get any crud off of it with a high winds and rains.

So should I hit the AC units with a power washer, or is a normal hose nozzle strong enough to get whatever the hell cottonwood is off of the coils?
A power washer will probably bend or possibly damage coils. Water hose should be more than sufficient. I always pull the blower motor out and wash from the top down spraying from the inside out

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like most of us do this ourselves but if there is a need I got a guy.
1655221922602.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom