Alaska DPS Officer killed in Musk Ox attack.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone in the US being killed by a musk ox. Makes some of my problems seem trivial.

They said thats the first reported human death by Musk Ox in Nome. Every year though multiple dogs in the area are killed by them. They are majestic animals but the few times I’ve seen them in the wild I’ve steered clear of them.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They said thats the first reported human death by Musk Ox in Nome. Every year though multiple dogs in the area are killed by them. They are majestic animals but the few times I’ve seen them in the wild I’ve steered clear of them.
I always assumed they were similar to yaks which we had a pair of when I was younger. They looked like short cattle that joined a hair band so it was easy to forget they were not domesticated livestock until they decided to remind you. We never had much issue with them because they knew we fed them and we let them have their space when they wanted it. We had several instances of people sneaking in to fish in the ponds behind the house that would get driven into the water to get away from them and you could hear the yelling from the house hahaha.

We really need to expose our kids more to livestock and wild animals so they dont grow into the adults you see in Yellowstone blooper reels. I am making a note to make it a point to take them to OKC West and show them around this summer.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always assumed they were similar to yaks which we had a pair of when I was younger. They looked like short cattle that joined a hair band so it was easy to forget they were not domesticated livestock until they decided to remind you. We never had much issue with them because they knew we fed them and we let them have their space when they wanted it. We had several instances of people sneaking in to fish in the ponds behind the house that would get driven into the water to get away from them and you could hear the yelling from the house hahaha.

We really need to expose our kids more to livestock and wild animals so they dont grow into the adults you see in Yellowstone blooper reels. I am making a note to make it a point to take them to OKC West and show them around this summer.

Musk Ox get up to about 800 pounds. They have an impressive horned skull cap that they use to do battle with.

827DE18D-1D14-4E03-ADCF-8249766991AC.jpeg

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Musk Ox get up to about 800 pounds. They have an impressive horned skull cap that they use to do battle with.
Oh yeah, I just meant temperament wise. A lot like bison in terms of seeming incredibly docile and slow moving until you find yourself inside their bubble, haha.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, we'd all probably do well to remember wild animals can be wild.

I was watching a hiker doing a video in Wyoming and she was talking about all the bear sightings etc. She came upon a big bull moose and his girlfriend. He was standing in her trail, probably 20 yards ahead of her. Took a couple steps toward her, but lost interest and they ambled off. Didn't seem to really concern her as much as the bears, but it looked pretty dicey to me.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a rancher killed by a TAME water buffalo in a livestock sale ring, in Oklahoma years ago, remember? The story I remember is he got into the ring to show how tame it was, and it killed him. I have had bulls that were just pets in the pasture, but got pissed off in the sale ring, It's a good idea to not underestimate an animal that out weighs you 10 to 1, and has survival instincts that will over rule their raising.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a rancher killed by a TAME water buffalo in a livestock sale ring, in Oklahoma years ago, remember? The story I remember is he got into the ring to show how tame it was, and it killed him. I have had bulls that were just pets in the pasture, but got pissed off in the sale ring, It's a good idea to not underestimate an animal that out weighs you 10 to 1, and has survival instincts that will over rule their raising.
I have also been hurt more times by the ones that were treated like pets because they just didnt appreciate they weren't a 150# calf anymore. Mashed feet, caught with a horn when they whip their head at a fly, etc. Sale barns are definitely not the place where I would tempt or judge an animals disposition. It is a highly stressful environment ESPECIALLY if they were used to just hanging out in the pasture and being rubbed on and hand fed alfalfa cubes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom