Alaska DPS Officer killed in Musk Ox attack.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That being said I have no idea why cowboys do rodeo bull riding. Having grown up on a farm I have a deep respect for 1 and 2 thousand pound, four legged, walking testosterone containers. I watched dad get a new knee because he walked close to the bull he was hand feeding. He just walked by and smack! the bull kicked him in the knee.

During college, I was tasked with helping out in a rodeo by operating the gates after the bulls left the arena. The bull's owner told me to stand on the ground between two metal 2 inch pipe gates, one of which was bent into a curved crescent shape so there was a perfect pocket for me to stand in. I wouldn't do it and refused several times. He got mad at me and did it himself.

About that time a two thousand pound pissed off Brahma bull came snorting through the lane. The owner tried to shut that bent gate and the bull wouldn't have any of that flattening the gate back to its original shape and we measured the distance between the gates after the guy was extracted by the paramedics. It was 4 inches from one gate to the other. He didn't die but he looked like a tracked vehicle drove over him.

Dad drilled a lot of common sense into me. The rest I learned the hard way, like this guy.
Oh yeah, NEVER stand behind a gate. I spent a lot of my young adult life walking through pens with a hand as high on the fence as I could reach in case something decided it was tired of being pushed that day. That was a very wise call on your part.

Sometimes I wish we still had cattle for the kids to be around so they could learn some of the life skills I did such as constantly watching the eyes and body language of the animals and people around us to anticipate intent. Learning to think about where they choose to stand and which direction(s) danger can come from and planning an escape route/reaction. Overall, I think growing up around cattle taught me a lot about dealing with people too. If you try to work an animal that is already wound tight, getting aggravated yourself only pours fuel on the fire. Keeping a calm voice and slow, deliberate movements with minimal eye contact can really help deescalate a situation.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grand-father, and one of my brothers, has what I would call a knack with dogs. I think they are literally not afrade of any dog, and I suspect the dogs can sense that? Just one quick example is, This brother was working in Okmulgee years ago, a guy gave him a huge St. Barnard Male, dog. This was a good blooded dog, and the only condition was the owner would not go into the pen with this dog. This brother is 6'4", and this dog was taller than him, when standing with his front paws on his shoulders. The first time my brother saw this dog, he went into the pen, petted this dog, put a leash on him. and loaded him into the cab of a Ford Courier Pick Up, and brought him home. No one not even his wife, and child, could get into the fenced yard with this dog, and he had to get rid of it, because it was so dangerous. to others. I have heard many stories of my grand-father having these a same knack with mean dogs. I know horses can sense fear, or lack of confidence in riders. This same brother is scared to death of horses, and they can also sence that.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keeping a calm voice and slow, deliberate movements with minimal eye contact can really help deescalate a situation.
"Keeping a calm voice and slow, deliberate movements with minimal eye contact can really help deescalate a situation. "

Hmph - that never seemed to work with me x-wife :anyone:

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Keeping a calm voice and slow, deliberate movements with minimal eye contact can really help deescalate a situation. "

Hmph - that never seemed to work with me x-wife :anyone:
I have had the occasional situation with people where my calmness seemed to also really stoke their anger. Some people just really need to feel angry sometimes, I guess.

Your guess is as good as mine sir. I will say that my wife's eagerness to drop disagreements is a big reason she became my wife and not an ex-gf. Life is too damn short to be around people that are hell bent on being angry.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had the occasional situation with people where my calmness seemed to also really stoke their anger. Some people just really need to feel angry sometimes, I guess.

Your guess is as good as mine sir. I will say that my wife's eagerness to drop disagreements is a big reason she became my wife and not an ex-gf. Life is too damn short to be around people that are hell bent on being angry.
Well SAID!

Latest posts

Top Bottom