alox & gas check

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used tried/thoughts on alox & gas check bullets running them at gas check velocities near max. I do not yet have a sizer/luber & have started casting some GC bullets & at the moment all I have is alox, luber/sizer not in the works for awhile. Just needed some input before I get too far down the road

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
357 71/2 blackhawk & marlin lever 158's, 41 220gr mag smith mod 57 6in , 45 colt 250gr blackhawk 4 5/8 & win carbine, 30-30 165gr win oct barrel 20 in

using unique &/or 296 in pistol cal & 3031 in 30-30

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking about running gas checks on all of those? IF so and the bullets are hard and sized appropriately (read not too small), I'd think that they would work. Hardness and bullet fit is what makes them not lead your bore. I don't care what space age, synthetic, super rocket certified lube you use. If they don't fit the bore and/or are too soft they will lead up your bore for you quite nicely.

Likewise if all things are proper you can run them almost as hard as a jacketed with most any lube, and in the calibers you list you could run them just as a jacketed. It's just going to take some experimentation on your part.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a variation of Darr's lube and have taken a 44 mag with 310 grain GC slug to 1450 fps out of a 7.5 inch Redhawk and it isn't smokey plus no leading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom