Alternative Construction Methods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me too,but the residential SIP and concrete/foam is usually a pain.
I was talking if it was my house doing a commercial style form and tilt up combo and making a bullet proof storm resistant palace if i ever got to build one for my self. To answer your question no im not an electrician but have built many many buildings as a general contractor

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of these types of storm shelters. As we all know Oklahoma had the highest recorded wind speeds on earth back during the May 3rd 1999 tornados, we lived in Midwest City at the time and by the grace of GOD, survived it.
200mph wind speeds are not the greatest danger, they where over 300mph May 3rd, its what's flying through the air at that speed, such as a car, truck or semi truck

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Roy14 I applaud you on thinking energy and alternative! Some underground or dug in will help greatly. 3 family members and us has had partial underground. We should have stayed in ours, but that was years ago. I know one thing as of today, $3450 for 10 windows! Construction material is high right now, as most know.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Roy14 I applaud you on thinking energy and alternative! Some underground or dug in will help greatly. 3 family members and us has had partial underground. We should have stayed in ours, but that was years ago. I know one thing as of today, $3450 for 10 windows! Construction material is high right now, as most know.
Thanks to Biden.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I wonder about concrete is how it will last long term. Will it have the ability, if constructed correctly, to last hundreds of years like the stone and heavy timber homes of Europe? Reinforced concrete is undoubtedly stronger (insofar as compressive, tensile, and shear strength) but because it’s aggregate based and man made as opposed to hewn from the earth like stone or grown for a century or more (referring to old growth timber such as moon wood that’s harvested using OLD practices, which is almost unheard of now), will it deteriorate much quicker?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was working on a house design in Colorado using 2 - 20ft conx and stacked 8ft square bales wire wrapped and gunnite coated. For the superstructure. Utilize thermal pane patio door kits between bale stacks and we had a good sawmill cutting beetle kill locally to get beams from at good prices. Shop and mechanical lower level and a small freight elevator and stairs to upper level.
We intended to build a deck covering the conx and bale structure and build our living quarters up top with sawmill lumber and patio door units. Steel roof.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
also would like to do a dome like dad built many years ago in tulsa giant 200ft diameter pile of dirt like 30'high bent and tied rebar mat across it poured the mud to it and when dry dig out the dirt!

Latest posts

Top Bottom