Amazon.com Changes The Game

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work at Best Buy and react to this with mixed emotions. Amazon can be too big; driving brick and mortars out of business will hurt them in the long run. A lack of competition leads to inefficiency, and they'll have a hard time selling TVs to people if they can't view them first. To all of you consumers, please keep your money local. Whether it's Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or a mom and pop, do yourself a favor and buy from them.

A lot of times, people will tell me that they can buy a TV for the same price from Amazon but not pay sales tax. Depending on their level of smug, I usually say something to the effect of, "Do you not like having a fire department?" Sometimes it makes people think.

For what it's worth, though, to those of you buying items like televisions from Amazon, it never hurts to ask the dang salesman to match Amazon's price! I can't remember the last time I turned down an Amazon customer. At least in the case of Best Buy, we have full authority to make our own decisions about pricing (within reason). As long as we still make 3% on a TV, which means we break even after check lane tender, I'll make a sale just to steal Amazon's market share. Especially on non-TV items, I can beat Amazon any day. For those of you looking to buy a TV in the near future, call Best Buy 351 in Fayetteville, AR and ask for Ed. Say goodbye to Amazon and say hello to improving the funding of your local government

You lost me with "Keep your money local" when referring to national retailers.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't buy shoes online, That's one of those items it's just impossible for me to purchase in that manner. I did ton's of research and so very badly wanted to like the vibram 5 fingers but the day I decided to get a new pair of shoes I went to a local store. Instead of buying the vibrams I wound up buying a pair of merrel's. There will always be a local market for some items if your retailer is smart.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work at Best Buy and react to this with mixed emotions. Amazon can be too big; driving brick and mortars out of business will hurt them in the long run. A lack of competition leads to inefficiency, and they'll have a hard time selling TVs to people if they can't view them first. To all of you consumers, please keep your money local. Whether it's Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or a mom and pop, do yourself a favor and buy from them.

A lot of times, people will tell me that they can buy a TV for the same price from Amazon but not pay sales tax. Depending on their level of smug, I usually say something to the effect of, "Do you not like having a fire department?" Sometimes it makes people think.

For what it's worth, though, to those of you buying items like televisions from Amazon, it never hurts to ask the dang salesman to match Amazon's price! I can't remember the last time I turned down an Amazon customer. At least in the case of Best Buy, we have full authority to make our own decisions about pricing (within reason). As long as we still make 3% on a TV, which means we break even after check lane tender, I'll make a sale just to steal Amazon's market share. Especially on non-TV items, I can beat Amazon any day. For those of you looking to buy a TV in the near future, call Best Buy 351 in Fayetteville, AR and ask for Ed. Say goodbye to Amazon and say hello to improving the funding of your local government

I commend you if you are matching Amazon's price on TVs - the local Best Buy store I went to 2 years ago wouldn't. That's one reason I purchased a new 52" TV from Amazon; another was that the reviews on amazon.com gave me better information and detail about the TV I was interested in (and ultimately purchased) than any of the employees I dealt with at my local BB. I do, in many instances, shop local - but it's still my money, and I'll do everything in my power to maximize my mileage with it, including spending it online (and therefore out of state) if I can get a significantly better deal.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Amazon any different? At least we pay state sales tax.

I order sparingly off Amazon, but I have two things to add:

1) One of the biggest points of the article is that Amazon is building large numbers of local DCs to facilitate faster deliver, and understands this will afford sales tax collections where these are located. This is why places had DCs in less-populated areas before, like Amazon's in Coffeyville, KS.

2) We're all paying our use tax on online purchases when completing our OK income tax returns, right? :lookaroun

Also, my local Walmart wouldn't even match their own online price. This was on a $700 TV, and the online price was $30 or so cheaper. Are they really supposed to match Amazon.com but NOT Walmart.com? Pricematching is so nutty that I don't even mess with it anymore. I just order from the cheapest place (unless local is only negligibly more or I am in a huge rush).

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If BB goes under because of this, good riddance. I can't remember ever having what I'd call good service at a BB. The sales staff is underinformed on the products and overly pushy with sales tactics. For me, their only purpose is checking out a product in person before buying.

Someplace like a local camera or bike shop is very different, as they all but universally give excellent customer service.

The extended sales tax holiday online was great, but I'll grudgingly accept the inevitable. Now if we could trust the state to use our tax dollars at better than a C+ student level, the grudge would be lessened. A little.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't shop at Best Buy. Their prices are too high and the staff is not very knowledgeable in my experience. I am a huge fan of Amazon. I don't care if they are the devil. They normally have what I need and I can get it fast.

bootsbaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I <3 capitalism. Amazon is not an evil empire, they are someone who worked hard started a new business and it is wildly successful. More power to them. Because if they can do it, so can anyone else with enough hard work and effort.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To all of you consumers, please keep your money local. Whether it's Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or a mom and pop, do yourself a favor and buy from them.

I prefer to keep my dollars local, but sometimes, you just can't.

Take today for instance.

I need a new water heater. My local hardware store sells 'em for x amount of dollars. Lowe's and Home Depot are both at least 30/45 minutes away from me and they sell 'em for a few dollars cheaper. Still, I go to my local store to buy one because they usually knock off a little on the price. Granted, they can't match Lowe's and Home Depot's prices, but they come close and at least save me a little gas money.

Well, I go to my local store and they don't have one in stock. Furthermore, they act like I am bothering them, never even mention ordering one for me and more or less act like they got better things to do than mess with me.

So as you can imagine, me and my money walk out the door and plan a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot this weekend for a new water heater. :finger:

Latest posts

Top Bottom