Amazon vs Local Retailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bargain shop, for quality items.

I was needing an oil filter today. My go to filters are Wix brand mostly, I’ll use OEM Toyota paper elements instead of aftermarket, for example.

Since Amazon has come on the scene, they’ve been cheaper, normally by far, than other sites and especially local places.

Except today, I was this ‘’ close to buying a filter but I thought the price seemed higher than normal. I decided to check O’Reilly because they carry Wix. Come to find out, Oreillys was about $1 cheaper than amazon and I could pick it up today. Oreillys has been higher than most online stores. Glad I checked.

Amazon has gone down hill and it’s descent is gaining speed.

Prime membership cost is ridiculous, 1 and 2 day prime shipping seems to be nonexistent, returns are a hassle, and now prices are not competitive. I’ll be checking other retailers more often now.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon is pricing in their shipping costs to items. Been doing it forever. I always price shop everywhere else and it's about a 50:50 split on Amazon being cheaper. I get a lot of stuff from Sam's and Amazon both.

Also hate it when Amazon isn't the seller. I pay for Prime and they need a way to filter out all the vendors that aren't giving you Prime shipping. It's irritating...

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon is pricing in their shipping costs to items. Been doing it forever. I always price shop everywhere else and it's about a 50:50 split on Amazon being cheaper. I get a lot of stuff from Sam's and Amazon both.

Also hate it when Amazon isn't the seller. I pay for Prime and they need a way to filter out all the vendors that aren't giving you Prime shipping. It's irritating...
There is a toggle at the top of the page when you search for an item for prime only. Also, there is a block you can check on the left of the page under search parameters that you can check for prime only.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a hard core price shopper. I buy a lot from Amazon. They're usually...not always...less expensive for what I want or need. And their customer service simply can't be beat, day in and day out. Buying from Amazon is no different than buying from a big box store except Bezos is a boogeyman to some. There's a Bezos behind just about every mega-corp and they're all mostly run by woke leftists.

When local stores can start providing the level of service Amazon does I'll spend my money there instead. Until then, I'll opt to spend my money with a company that values me as a customer. Or at least gives the impression they do.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just had to buy a power steering line from amazon because it is not available until after Christmas locally so I got on amazon and found the same brand line 14.00 cheaper and it will be here Wednesday, I prefer to shop at locally owned places but there aren't many left or they don't have what I am looking for.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a hard core price shopper. I buy a lot from Amazon. They're usually...not always...less expensive for what I want or need. And their customer service simply can't be beat, day in and day out. Buying from Amazon is no different than buying from a big box store except Bezos is a boogeyman to some. There's a Bezos behind just about every mega-corp and they're all mostly run by woke leftists.

When local stores can start providing the level of service Amazon does I'll spend my money there instead. Until then, I'll opt to spend my money with a company that values me as a customer. Or at least gives the impression they do.
This 👆. You can’t shop at most local mom and pop shops now without supporting the mega corporations to some extent. Maybe some of the Amish outfits out near Inola are so off grid and disconnected that the furniture they make is made from timber from their farms. But then the tools. . . . I don’t know.

Old Noob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You do you. No problem with that. I still shop at Walmart from time to time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom