Annealing. Who does it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annealing. Who does it?

• Yes, I anneal before every reload..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Naah, why bother..

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Yes, I anneal every few..

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • What's annealing?

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, just a basic question but feel free to jump into depth with it.

Who anneals their reloads.

I have started, with my 300 Win Mag. And moved to my 30-06 M1 reloads, and .243 Win. I also hang out/lurk around the shooters forum over at 6mmBR.com. There's people there that claim 30-40 reloads on a single piece of brass, due to annealing and shooting moderate loads, before their cases start separating.

Good read on annealing: http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay I know what annealing is, how are you guys doing it?

Propane torch (laid on its side over the edge of a work bench), gloves, and a coffee can full of water. Heat them cherry red, drop them in the water. Not very scientific, but it works. I never annealed any cases until I had some problems with 'crushing' or 'creasing' necks trying to form some calibers (wildcat and otherwise) from their parent cases. Annealing made a definite difference. I suppose I should try it with some standard cases. HHHHMMMMM. Might call for some controlled experimentation.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Propane torch (laid on its side over the edge of a work bench), gloves, and a coffee can full of water. Heat them cherry red, drop them in the water. Not very scientific, but it works. I never annealed any cases until I had some problems with 'crushing' or 'creasing' necks trying to form some calibers (wildcat and otherwise) from their parent cases. Annealing made a definite difference. I suppose I should try it with some standard cases. HHHHMMMMM. Might call for some controlled experimentation.

Kinda like you I started when I started crushing necks.

Thing is don't get it too hot or you have to start over.

According to the link I provided in my original post, the temperature you want is right as the shoulder/neck area slightly begins to turn red.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just stand all the cases on their bases in a shallow pan with 1/2 in of water in it.
Heat all the necks to cherry color (not bright red) with your propane torch and then shake the pan or tap the cases over.
That way you don't heat the bases or burn your fingers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom