antibiotics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been told you can get some antibiotics at the co-op for use on cows and fish and such.

Something penicillin-based is usually good for alot of stuff, good broad-spectrum for throats, ears and skin infections. Amoxicillin I have heard is available like I said above. Of course, if ya got a penicillin allergy, first-generation and second-generation cephalosporins like cephalexin fit kinda the same niche. I.e., mostly for gram-positive bacterial infections.

For infections usually suspected to be Gram-negative, such as bladder/kiddey and bowel, etc, something like ciprofloxacin or bactrim (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole) are good starting places. Bactrim is great for most skin infections, and MRSA is usually sensitive to it. Cipro.... eh, not so much, but it IS the treatment of choice for anthrax. :)

Keep in mind, this is NOT advice being given to tell people to avoid medical treatment. This is hypothetical TEOTWAWKI stuff only. ;)

Alternatives that cover alot of stuff may be doxyxycline and/or Augmentin, which is amoxicillin + clavulonic acid. Helps it work much better than plain amoxicillin and in high doses is good for MRSA, too.

peace2554

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been told you can get some antibiotics at the co-op for use on cows and fish and such.

Something penicillin-based is usually good for alot of stuff, good broad-spectrum for throats, ears and skin infections. Amoxicillin I have heard is available like I said above. Of course, if ya got a penicillin allergy, first-generation and second-generation cephalosporins like cephalexin fit kinda the same niche. I.e., mostly for gram-positive bacterial infections.

For infections usually suspected to be Gram-negative, such as bladder/kiddey and bowel, etc, something like ciprofloxacin or bactrim (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole) are good starting places. Bactrim is great for most skin infections, and MRSA is usually sensitive to it. Cipro.... eh, not so much, but it IS the treatment of choice for anthrax. :)

Keep in mind, this is NOT advice being given to tell people to avoid medical treatment. This is hypothetical TEOTWAWKI stuff only. ;)

Alternatives that cover alot of stuff may be doxyxycline and/or Augmentin, which is amoxicillin + clavulonic acid. Helps it work much better than plain amoxicillin and in high doses is good for MRSA, too.

Thanks. Good info for all.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good advise from tRidiot.

I would start cheap and work up. A lot can be had from feed store or pet store...be careful though there a couple of bovine antibiotics that are lethal to humans even in micro doses. Fish antibiotics are not that cheap if you want human type doses but at least available over the counter. There are quite a few antibiotics on the $4 list at WM/CVS/Walgreens etc...You could always ask your doctor to give you a rx with your regular visit some would some wouldn't. Just don't expect them to commit insurance fraud by providing a fake diagnosis. If you just wanted a rx to take to the pharmacy and pay cash they might help you out.

My list would be:

Penicillin - Amoxicillin 500mg is my choice most infections can be dosed twice a day. Adults will need 4 pills a day for 7-10 days. Caps could hypothetically be taken apart to customize doses.
Cephalosporin - Keflex/cephalexin is the only cheap one. Again it will require 4 pills a day for 7-10 days. I would probably only bother with it if there was a penicillin allergy I needed to worry about otherwise Amox is at least is good. The newer ones are really expensive to just have on hand.
Sulpha - Bactrim or Septra or TMP/SMX - All the same - 1 pill two times a day in most cases...good for skin, respiratory, urinary and GI infections.
Ciprofloxin - 1 pill twice a day - Good for urinary and GI illness. Sometimes effective with respiratory and skin infections but reliability is questionable.
Doxycycline - Nice old antibiotic can be used for respiratory, GI, urinary, genital and skin infections. Also, one of the few antibiotics effective against Rocky Mountain Spotted fever and Lymes Disease. Actually has some decreased resistance lately in some areas. For some infections it used for a few weeks.
Metronidazole or Flagyl - Good for GI illness and some anaerobic illness. Also, effective against some parasites like giardia.

I would also include an anti worm med like albendazole. some countries use ivermectin but it is NOT approved in the US except through the CDC.

A couple courses of these would put most of us way ahead of the game...maybe next year for me. There are some others I would get if $$$ is not a factor.
Amoxicillin, keflex, bactrim and cipro are all on the $4 list.

PS: This is for informational use only. This is not personal medical advise. You need to see your doctor before starting any medication. Antibiotics kill people every year and should be used with caution.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Be sure to put back a little Benadryl for anyone who might have an allergic reaction to any
Of those antibiotics. Start with .25 mg ( one pill) or 50mg. (2 pills) of Benadryl to treat
for a more serious allergic reaction.

However people should take a look at this article about how pharmaceuticals and specifically anti-biotics,
are the 4th leading cause of death in this country. It also talks about how Cipro is very poisonous to more
People than realized and what other antibiotics might be a better choice. Some of my family members and I
Have had severe negative reactions in the past when taking Cipro. Here is the article which is quite informative.
Be safe when dosing family and friends with antibiotics.

http://www.collective-evolution.com...be-the-4th-leading-cause-of-death-in-america/

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that chic a meth head? Nurse or not, she is on something

Some of her videos are just a little out there... She does have some good info though.

I have a penicillin allergy, so I use cephalosporin...

Another thing I keep on hand is triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment (from the vet). You have to be sure the eye isn't scratched before using though, so if you can get eye stain, that is a plus.
I also like a product called Animax, it is a topical antibiotic/steroid/fungicide that works for lots of stuff. You can get that from the vet as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom