Any and all Winchester WST data

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only for 38S, 40 and 45. I am looking for the bulk of the calibers.

Already emailed hodgdon inquiring about lack of other calibers.

There's a reason it's not listed for 9mm and .380. You can easily get into pressure trouble before you get up to full velocity with WST. HP38/231 is much safer in these calibers.

I have an old Winchester book that shows WST loads for 10mm if you need that.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a reason it's not listed for 9mm and .380. You can easily get into pressure trouble before you get up to full velocity with WST. HP38/231 is much safer in these calibers.

This is also very good to know, and I was wondering if something like this was an issue.

Im not wanting to tempt fate here, so *maybe* switching to a different powder would be wise for 9mm.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is also very good to know, and I was wondering if something like this was an issue.

Im not wanting to tempt fate here, so *maybe* switching to a different powder would be wise for 9mm.
I seriously doubt that you'll have any trouble AS LONG as you don't try to make major or anything like that. If you want a full power load then by all means use something else. It's strictly a lead bullet/light load proposition. Think bullseye only clean burning.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'm wanting to work up a 9mm 147 suppressor load with WST. Not looking for max velocity, but something clean burning with low heat. I'd like to keep my can as cool and clean as possible for obvious reasons.

I have a .40 minor load with VV310 and 180 JHP's that's obviously not a recommended use for VV310, but it works.

Any suggestions on other powders for 9mm subsonic that would burn cool and clean?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that you'll have any trouble AS LONG as you don't try to make major or anything like that. If you want a full power load then by all means use something else. It's strictly a lead bullet/light load proposition. Think bullseye only clean burning.

I'm wanting to work up a 9mm 147 suppressor load with WST. Not looking for max velocity, but something clean burning with low heat. I'd like to keep my can as cool and clean as possible for obvious reasons.

I have a .40 minor load with VV310 and 180 JHP's that's obviously not a recommended use for VV310, but it works.

Any suggestions on other powders for 9mm subsonic that would burn cool and clean?

And now I am reminded why I wanted to use WST in the first place. Thanks for keeping my fleeting mind on track! ;)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Been reading around and found someone who is loading 147g with 3.2 of WST but he qualifies by adding "if your gun will cycle under 800fps. I am guess that means he pulls sub 800fps with 3.2g/WST. @ 1.156OAL.

The topic at Brian Enos that Shadow posted has someone loading 147s:

3.2 - 847fps (very close to starting load for Titegroup if I recall.)
3.6 - 864fps

Both at 1.110 OAL.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys might hit up Mitch at J&K. I'm pretty sure he was the one that suggested WST and he may have more insight. I told him that I was going to start using it (it was awhile back) and he said something to the lke "you'll like it". Well, I tried it. And I liked it.

I will say that it's a little surprising in one respect. That 4.4gr/124 combination is close to being a compressed load, it takes up a lot of space in the case for as fast of a powder as it is. There's no chance of a double charge. But maybe it's not uncommon, I've mostly used extruded or ball powders and all the cartridges I've ever loaded before are a good bit larger than 9mm in case capacity.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been reading around and found someone who is loading 147g with 3.2 of WST but he qualifies by adding "if your gun will cycle under 800fps. I am guess that means he pulls sub 800fps with 3.2g/WST. @ 1.156OAL.

3.6 - 864fps

Both at 1.110 OAL.

147gr. XTPs at 1.100 will not cycle my XD with 3.2gr of TG. 3.4 is my load for TG with 174s. I think I load 147gr RN to 1.15 over 3.4grains of TG. I want to try N320 too.

WST is slower than TiteGroup too.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

3.6 - 864fps

Both at 1.110 OAL.

Thanks for the info! I love TiteGroup but it burns really hot. My 158gr practice load in .38 Special with TiteGroup works really well, but the gun gets so hot that I have to let it cool between strings. Not something I want to run through my can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom