Any arachnologists on the forum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they can be hard to get rid of.
My younger brother used to live in an old trailer that was full of them. He regularly bug bombed it and still had fiddle backs that would have made the Boone & Crockett list.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy the little glue pads and stick them under furniture, etc where pets can't get to them. We have been spider free since using them, and I'm not spraying chemicals in the house.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine got bit and the doc used electricity on it some how and healed nicely.

I've heard about that, although didn't know it was ever proven. Seems it started in South America when somebody got bit by a poisonous spider or snake, they would use a spark plug wire right on the bite, and it would neutralize the venom. They swore by it, but the FDA said no.

That was years ago. Wonder if the technique was perfected?

daddyof3_101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy the little glue pads and stick them under furniture, etc where pets can't get to them. We have been spider free since using them, and I'm not spraying chemicals in the house.

This works best for fiddlebacks. Place them under furniture and in mechanical closets. Also toss a few in the attic.

This signature is illegal in California

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
The poisons that work for other spiders will not work on fiddlebacks. As Dennis pointed out, the glue traps work best. We have a buttload of the nasty critters out here. The glue boards don't get them all, but they do cut down on them (scorpions too).

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard about that, although didn't know it was ever proven. Seems it started in South America when somebody got bit by a poisonous spider or snake, they would use a spark plug wire right on the bite, and it would neutralize the venom. They swore by it, but the FDA said no.

That was years ago. Wonder if the technique was perfected?

I saw that method tested along with several others for snake bites and it was a major fail. The conclusion was that it could very well be worse using that method. Suction was a giant fail too and that's the method pretty much considered the only one that works but it doesn't. There's a drug that they give you that works pretty well but if you wait too long you may end up really disfigured, I've seen it and it's pretty nasty.

The sticky pad method is a great choice. I was living in an apartment years ago that was infested with them, I had to shake the covers out before getting in bed to get the spiders out. I woke up several times to find one crawling across my face. I complained to the manager and they sprayed several times but it didn't help. Finally one day the exterminator recommended the sticky pads and said to put them right next to the wall behind furniture and such, put them along as many walls as you can. So I bought a bunch of them and did what she said. I couldn't believe it...so many fiddlebacks they were filling up glue traps. The exterminator said she had never seen that many fiddlebacks in any residence she's ever seen or heard of. How I never got bit I don't know.

If you have pets do not put a glue trap anywhere an animal can get to it because it's a real biatch when they get into one. We started using that sprinkle stuff around the entire house, from the foundation to about a foot out. So basically 12" of granules around the entire house and then wet really well, just don't wash it away from where you just put it. We have been doing it for about 6 or 7 years, the beginning of every summer and it makes a HUGE difference. We went from all kinds of bugs and spiders to being surprised to find to even see one in the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom