I Discovered Something Kinda Freaky...Wish I Could Get A Picture.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man...if that isn't a click-bait title nothing is! 🤣

I was walking out to the garden after dark with a flashlight. As the light shined across the ground I saw what I thought were maybe hundreds of fireflies in the grass. But none were flying and I thought that was odd. They were moving across the ground, though.

I shined the light on one firefly and was able to walk to it and get a closer look. Not a firefly at all. It was a spider and it was it's eyes glowing in the dark just like a deer would when a light is shined in their eyes. Tiny little green dots. They look similar to a wolf spider...maybe that's what they are. Really common tan and brown colored spiders with dark stripes.

Literally hundreds of them just in a small area. The ground is alive with them it seems. Showed this to my wife. She may not sleep for a week or more.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly a nest of tarantulas? I was mowing a couple years ago and found a hole with a lot of small critters running around it. Stopped and the momma came out of the hole and took an aggressive stand while the babies went back down into the hole.
I have no clue if the spider can dig the hole or they take a hole dug by something else. Probably a 3/4" hole.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1151.JPG

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly a nest of tarantulas? I was mowing a couple years ago and found a hole with a lot of small critters running around it. Stopped and the momma came out of the hole and took an aggressive stand while the babies went back down into the hole.
I have no clue if the spider can dig the hole or they take a hole dug by something else. Probably a 3/4" hole.

No...not tarantulas. Just garden variety little spiders. And they're everywhere. It really is kinda freaky to know there are that many out there. I should have a bunch of fat chickens and guineas in no time.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man...if that isn't a click-bait title nothing is! 🤣

I was walking out to the garden after dark with a flashlight. As the light shined across the ground I saw what I thought were maybe hundreds of fireflies in the grass. But none were flying and I thought that was odd. They were moving across the ground, though.

I shined the light on one firefly and was able to walk to it and get a closer look. Not a firefly at all. It was a spider and it was it's eyes glowing in the dark just like a deer would when a light is shined in their eyes. Tiny little green dots. They look similar to a wolf spider...maybe that's what they are. Really common tan and brown colored spiders with dark stripes.

Literally hundreds of them just in a small area. The ground is alive with them it seems. Showed this to my wife. She may not sleep for a week or more.

1685770554429.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom