Any arachnologists on the forum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The poisons that work for other spiders will not work on fiddlebacks. As Dennis pointed out, the glue traps work best. We have a buttload of the nasty critters out here. The glue boards don't get them all, but they do cut down on them (scorpions too).

I agree. Had a nasty infestation of them in a house we used to live in, and the pest control guy said they are hard to control, as the poison has to actually be on their body; he said they don't clean themselves like roaches or other instects do, and they walk with their body so far off of the surface that the poison may get on thier feet, but never really makes it into their system. He used a dust called "Delta Dust" (very fine and settles on their bodies, wherever they may be hiding), and after that I started buying it online and "blowing" it in the attic with one of those hand-crank, garden dust blowers. I also put very sparing amounts of it around the baseboards where there was carpet. Seemed to help, but never did get rid of them.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. I woke up several times to find one crawling across my face. .

OMG! I would have shat myself right there! I find them on occasion but they seem to b fewer and fewer. Permethrin will kill them and has no oder. Spray your baseboards and your good for 6-9 months. Heat and water will neutralize it so if you spray outside, plan to do it every month.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fiddlebacks or brown recluses have what's called a cytotoxin. Whereas most other poisonous animals, whether snakes or spiders or otherwise have neurotoxins. What's different about a cytotoxin is that they use it as their digestive fluids. It breaks apart organic compounds like tissue. That's why people who get bit by Fiddlebacks typically end up with a "hole" or indentation where the venom was injected. It literally ate their flesh away. They're all over the place at MCB 29 Palms, where I did my ACLS course. As a result they include a "dangerous wildlife" brief in medical training now.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have pests then there is nothing better than Talstar P. Spray the outside perimeter of your home every three months and indoor cracks and crevices. You'll never have bugs again. You can get 3/4 of a gallon of concentrate for about $30 on amazon. You won't regret it. Trust me, Talstar kills spiders including brown recluse spiders. I know from being a former victim of an infestation. There are no spiders with chips on their shoulders in my home.

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have pests then there is nothing better than Talstar P. Spray the outside perimeter of your home every three months and indoor cracks and crevices. You'll never have bugs again. You can get 3/4 of a gallon of concentrate for about $30 on amazon. You won't regret it. Trust me, Talstar kills spiders including brown recluse spiders. I know from being a former victim of an infestation. There are no spiders with chips on their shoulders in my home.

Just ordered a bottle.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just ordered a bottle.

You won't be sorry. I spray along the baseboards in the entire house once a year too. Just follow instructions. Let me know if you need any other help with household or turf pests. I've become a bit of a semi-pro in the quest to save lots of money in both damage and hiring pro help. I'm about to get my eradication of tree borers on via systemic application of Dominion 2L this weekend. Party!!!

This website has been very helpful for me. Their prices are sometimes the best when bought in bulk. There is also free shipping on most items. Between the reviews, the folks who answer the questions and the instructional videos not much is missed.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This website has been very helpful for me. Their prices are sometimes the best when bought in bulk. There is also free shipping on most items. Between the reviews, the folks who answer the questions and the instructional videos not much is missed.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com
I think I may have ordered some stuff from them a few years ago when carpenter ants thought they were welcome in my house. I bought one of their ant control kits that included an aerosol foam, Termidor concentrate, a granular bait, and a gel bait, and it convinced the little buggers that there were better places to spend eternity.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I may have ordered some stuff from them a few years ago when carpenter ants thought they were welcome in my house. I bought one of their ant control kits that included an aerosol foam, Termidor concentrate, a granular bait, and a gel bait, and it convinced the little buggers that there were better places to spend eternity.

Lol. Yeah, I keep a gel(sugar), granule(protein) and their little side x side bait stations around my roses or whenever/wherever else I see ants. Those little tiny black ants are the only thing that have made it through my Talstar barrier and that was last year during that really wet spring/summer. I put out bait stations and after a couple of days they where history.

Latest posts

Top Bottom