Any experience using spray on bed liner on wood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm planning on building a quick and dirty pergola from which to hang some curtains to go around my hot tub using these:

1685075475579.png

Unless someone is aware of some sort of manufactured deck type material that comes in a 4" x 4" board (3 1/2" x 31/2" of course) I'll be using treated lumber. Rather than just use paint I'd rather have the board "plastic" covered and thought of using bed liner to make it so.

Has anyone ever used the spray can bed liner to cover wood? It might not be perfect and subject to scars/chips but I'm thinking we could at least keep a can around for touch-ups.

Any other ideas for making the wood beams look pretty?

Thanks!

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spray liner covering wood peels off, always. I would recommend instead using a linseed oil stain if you want a wood look, or an epoxy/paint two part coating if you want it to outlast Oklahoma statehood. A coating of Por-15, then sanded, then painted with whatever color you want, will seal that wood and it'll never rot.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used roll-on Herculiner bedliner on the plywood when I built bed drawers for my truck. It has a tonneau cover so not exposed to the elements, but it's still going strong 5 years later, few small nicks.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF you put bedliner (or other coating) on wet wood;
1. It will peel off
2. You seal in the moisture and rot the wood.

Assemble your pergola. Let it dry for 2 months. Add the finish of your choice.
Bedliner, paint or stain/oil/varnish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom