Any field mechanics on OSA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a field mechanic myself but work around several. Things I see them use alot...

Porta-power set
Flange spreading tool (runs off 3/8 or 1/2" rachet) worth weight in gold.
Pipe wrenches and cresent wrenches little to a 36" rigid
taps, dies, ez-outs, good drills and good chisels
Valve handle helper
Set of personal locks for LO-TO (say 6-10 keyed alike for locking equipment out and 2-3 more key for personal locks on lock box)
Brass tools like hammers punches and wedges
LEL/H2S/gas sniffer if not provided (should be!!)
pipe taps and maybe pipe threaders.
Comealong and/or chain hoist chains slings choke cables shackels ect...auto cranes cant get everywhere
Carry assortment of lubericants, gasket material, pipe fittings, nuts/bolts/washers, and other common consumable parts if you have the room.
Hammer wrenches
Good solid vise and maybe even chain type pipe vise to grab odd shaped stuff.
Pan to heat oil in for heating bearings (more even heat than just using torch.
Your lunch box to carry dry ice to job site or station if need to freeze a shaft

All I can really think of outside your basic hand tools. not all of this needed to be carried at all times maybe but deffinatly need ready access to the stuff

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
And don't forget to make sure you have a bunch of duct tape around. You can fix a radiator hose with just a couple layers, had one spring a leak on a car and after three layers I was able to drive till the next payday.

Haha... I don't know why I read through this whole thread, this field is so out of my frame of reference, I don't even know what half of the tools mentioned are! lol

But I do know, when talking duct tape, Gorilla Tape is 10x better. :D More expensive, yes, but stronger and more durable by far. I used to use duct tape to patch a couple of rusted out holes in the hatchback lid of my 240sx, where the factory spoiler had attached. I would use several overlapping layers of duct tape and had to change them out every couple of months as the weather and sun dried them out and they began to unravel. When I switched to Gorilla Tape, it lasted over a year on one application.

I'm a believer. :D

There's my pathetic white-trash loser contribution to the thread. :D

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But I do know, when talking duct tape, Gorilla Tape is 10x better. :D More expensive, yes, but stronger and more durable by far.
I'm a believer. :D

I just used Gorilla Tape for the first time this past weekend and I can absolutely endorse it, too.

Also, the safety-related suggestions above on the gas-sniffer and LOTO lock/key sets are GOLD, IMO!!!

Porta-Power kits are pretty expensive so I'd wait to see if it's really needed then see if the company will spring for it after you prove the need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom