Any good indy Harley Mechanics around Tulsa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do some Cam work on my 07 fatboy. I got a quote from a recommended wrench, but it came in at $3500 with labor. That was way to much for what I wanted so I thought I see if anyone had a good recommendation to share.

J

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try Buff's Bikes. He's in a hole in the wall shop in east Tulsa, 21st and 169 area if I remember. He was a long time mechanic for either Myers-Duren or Route 66, I don't remember. I think he's in the phone book. I will try and find his business card and get you his information.

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would call Donny at Kinetic Playground over on Brookside.Hes been doing all the work on my bikes for alot of years.I need some cam work done to my FXDX as well.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DIY? A TC cam swap isn't that hard. Takes about a weekend, at shade tree speed.
Blind hole bearing puller (for the inner cam/ case bearing) and "tap in" type bearing driver are free loans at auto zone. Beyond those, you'll need a set of bolt cutters for the old pushrods (saves pulling the heads) and access to a press. I've used my little 1 ton arbor press to push in cam plate bushings- heat cam plate in the oven/ spray propane (outside) at the bearing or set in dry ice, assemble quickly and use the press if they fail to drop right in.

Between your MoCo shop manual and V Twin forum searches. It's really not that big of a job. Use the money you save to buy a new user programmable ignition/EFI controller and decent intake, if you don't already have them.

As far as Tulsa shops, I'm clueless, but can recommend Okie City Customs and Mustang Baggers if you choose to come to the OKC area.

Best of luck however you do it!

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks RedMax... I'm also not opposed to doing the work myself, as long as I can get the correct tools. I didn't realize the blind barring puller and Tap in bearing driver could be secured on loan from Autozone.

The indy I spoke with wanted to go with Gear drive, but I'm not to worried about keeping Chain, especially since Pinion Shaft runout isn't as much of a concern. The problem with the current quote, is I don't really know what all is included in that quote. I said I wanted a HP oil pump to help with keeping the engine lubed, can't hurt right?

The bike has 12K miles and I wouldn't say I'm hard on it, I ride fast, but I don't do burn outs, drag racing and try not to lug the motor. I am however looking for some more TQ and any added HP is always welcomed. I already have a D&D FatCat 2-1 exhaust and Ness Big Sucker intake all being managed by a Zipper Thundermax EFI Closed Loop EFI.

The bike runs great, but I know it can do better with come cams and more tuning through the maps. It's safe now, but with very little I can get it going.

S&S has a great video online that walks you through the entire cam swap process. With the correct tools, it looks like nothing more then 2 hours in the motor and then time to pull and replace the pipes and top off the oil.

I'll strongly consider doing it myself, if I can make sure I have everything I need before I start. It'd be nice to save some money if I can do it right, I could put that money towards anything else..

Thanks all!

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might try Buff's Bikes. He's in a hole in the wall shop in east Tulsa, 21st and 169 area if I remember. He was a long time mechanic for either Myers-Duren or Route 66, I don't remember. I think he's in the phone book. I will try and find his business card and get you his information.

I found his business card: Buffbuilt.com 918-408-6378 418 S. 123rd E. Place, Tulsa.

He's real friendly, stop by and talk to him. He will tell you staright up if it's something you can do.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SPD, thanks for the contact. I'll stop by just to meet him. I added his contact info to my phone.

As for my cam upgrade... I did it myself. Took me 6 hours but it's done. Initial ride was like a different bike. I'm proud of my work and getting it done. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom