Any metal fabricators around Edmond want to help me out for a quick project?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for some 3/4" #9 steel mesh. I need plain/standard, non-galvanized expanded steel cut to 8" wide and appx 44" long. I say "quick" because it seems simple enough, but I've never welded, so what do I know? Additional service requested, but not necessary, is welding. I will pay for materials and services.

I'm building a charcoal basket for a smoker and will be shaping this steel around a 13.5" charcoal grate. If welded perfectly around this grate, it's a circumference of almost 42.5", but if you don't have the time then I need 44" to allow some overlap in which I can bolt together. Two separate 22" x 8" sheets will work all the same, especially if you're willing to weld it for me which would clean up the extra seam. If you have enough spare materials and, more importantly, time, we can also get creative and add a steel bar to allow me to hook the basket for easier setting up and removal.

I know I can pick up sheets at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware, but if it's not too thin and crappy, it's galvanized (I don't want to cook with galvanized anything) and if not that, then it's way more material than I need. If possible, I'd rather just pay for what I'll use and not have to deal with storing or unloading scraps. Plus, I'd much rather fund a fellow OSAer's pockets than Home Depot's.

If you're in the Edmond/North OKC/Quail Springs area, let me know what you can do and we'll work something out.

I hope this picture works, as I can't tell until I get home since PhotoBucket is blocked at my work, but this is basically what I'm after (minus the ash pan that I'll do myself):
i1026.photobucket.com_albums_y327_jimwissman_MyCharcoalBasket1.jpg

I know this one works (again, minus the ash pan) :
www.howtobbqright.com_img_files_uds_uglydrumsmoker3.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked with local metal dealers to see if they have "random drop" piles? If so, there's a chance they'll have scrap expanded metal (what you're looking for) that you can buy by the pound. It'd be a lot cheaper than at Lowe's, and of a thicker gauge. If they don't, they can cut you a strip as wide as you want, and it'd still be cheaper.

Marksman
Reaction score
If your still in the market for expanded metal it might be worth your time to drive out to Chandler. There is an expanded metal factory out here. I bought a scrap piece for a uds last year for something like $10.

Latest posts

Top Bottom