Any one priced any SBS lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's been a while, but last I checked an 870 SBS was around $550 and then you still have to pay $200 for the tax stamp. Really not worth it if you ask me. You could come out cheaper making the SBS yourself and getting the tax stamps to be around $550 total.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering about a SBS recently.

Was watching the movie with John Wayne and James Caan (I think it was "El Dorado") where Caan's character carries a short barreled, double barrel shotgun with what looks like a pistol grip or bird's head style grip.

Since they have been allowing things like the Mare's Leg to be manufactured and classified as a pistol, I wonder if the same could be done with shotguns? Or is there a prohibition against pistol style shotguns over .410? never really into shotties so I haven't really looked at that part of the NFA.

Dave

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was actually about to post a thread on this topic but reading this it might be more benificial posted in this thread. I was perusing the Firearm blog in old old posts and came across a link to this, thought I'd pass it along. I'd consider making this purchase, the title is the moss 500 14" that is not an NFA, dropped my jaw when I saw it.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IIRC, the AOW stamp is $5. Something to think about.

It is $5 to TRANSFER an existing AOW on a Form 4. It is still $200 to MAKE an AOW on a Form 1. Also, you have to use a gun that never had a stock attached. You need to use a factory stripped receiver or one that came from the factory with only a pistol grip. If it had a stock than it was a shotgun and would have to be an SBS, it can never be an AOW.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since they have been allowing things like the Mare's Leg to be manufactured and classified as a pistol, I wonder if the same could be done with shotguns? Or is there a prohibition against pistol style shotguns over .410? never really into shotties so I haven't really looked at that part of the NFA.

Dave

The mares leg has rifling and not a smooth bore. That is why it is not a SBS. Just like the judge

cigman1st

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It can definitely be more than what I've heard so far, it just depends on what you want. Ball park on parts...
Remington 870 Police as your base $500, Remington 870 Factory 14inch barrel with Rifle sights $100, Remington or Ramline or other stock set $80, Surefire 318lmg forend $350, magazine extension $50, Stainless follower $15, Jumbo safety $15, side saddle $20 and I'm probably leaving something out. This gets you to around $1,120.00 and then the $200 stamp and you are fast approaching $1,300.00 plus. Just another option to evaluate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom