Any opinions on the Colt M4 .22's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a LOT of negative written about the Umarex/Colt tomato stake on the net. They're pretty consistently reported as cheesy, jamming, breaking pieces of junk, from what I've read. Mind you, not first hand, just hearsay, but do a thorough search and be careful before buying. They're not "made by" Colt, but by Umarex/Walther.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/11/20/colt-umarex-ar-15-22lr-gunbroker-saga/

TJohn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Colt M4-OPS-22 for a short while, traded it for a Smith & Wesson when I saw them in the gun shop the first time. The Colt feels more like a real ar as far as weight, but it did not break down without tools for cleaning. If I recall correctly you have to loosen the flash hider with a wrench before separating the upper and lower. The internals were more similar to a Walther G22 than an AR. The dust cover was kinda cheesy (nonfunctional for looks only really) and the AR like bolt release was non-functioning. Overall the gun was a disappointment to me, considering how much hype the Colt brand gets.

The example of the Colt that I had was extremely ammo sensitive. It did not like Remington Golden, would not feed it at all. It did work fine with winchester 330/550 bulk, Federal bulk, American Eagle bulk and CCI minimags. It did seem accurate enough with ammo that it liked.

I much prefer the MP15-22 for ease of cleaning but some do have issues with ejectors and the way you load the magazines. However the MP15-22 breaks down like an AR and the bolt release works just like real AR. To be fair the two MP15-22's that I have don't like Remington Golden either, of course I haven't found much lately that likes the Remington Golden. I have found that they like CCI Minimags, Federal Automatch, Federal 550 bulk, and Winchester 333/550 bulk. CCI Blazer and American Eagle tend to not cycle well in it, although results have improved as the guns have been broken in.

ActionJaxn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the M4 OPS version of it. Since it's first release, there are some people that have figured out how to lighten the trigger and what ammo it likes (federal & CCI).

After the research I have done on this 22 rifle, I gotta tell you, it is pretty nice. I was initially displeased to find out that it did not break down like a regular ar, but I have got over that because it is what it is (22 rifle) and this 22 feels like a real AR in terms of weight and all metal construction. I couldn't get over how the s&w mp15-22 felt like a toy. After the first cleaning, I have put over 1500 rounds through it with approx. 5-10 stove pipes/misfires.

This past w/e, I took it back out to the range and it started misfiring/stovepiping after another few hundred rounds were put thrugh it, so time to clean. I like mine, but as was said before, there are several stories on the internet related to this model.

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one and was not impressed ended up selling it for a SW and I also picked up a sig 522 both a very nice but I would have to give the edge to the sig but the Smith mags are of a better design.

Dustin

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I would go for the Ruger SR-22 if I wanted an AR-style rimfire right now, personally.

It's pretty hard to beat the 10/22 action. It just makes more sense to me to adapt an established .22 platform into an AR style weapon instead of vice versa.

If you do go that route, you can always customize a 10/22 yourself too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom