Any recommendations for hunting areas around grand lake/vinita?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyabolical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey gang, i moved to vinita a few years ago and am just now getting settled in and ready to hunt again. The problem...i have nowhere to go within a decent driving distance. I have a wife and 2 young boys so i don't want to travel too far. I mainly bow hunt but occasionally pull out the rifle or muzzleloader every few seasons for a change of pace.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spavinaw WMA is the only area I know of near here. I think it is open to archery for most of the full season this year. Only time it is closed is during special hunts. Check regs to be sure.
The GRDA land around Grand is open to hunting with archery or shotgun w/ pellets only. There are still some unpopulated areas, but most are only accessable by boat. Again check regs to be sure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to stay at Longs Resort on Grand lake a lot and the guy had several nice mounts on his wall. Said they came from some of the Islands on Grand Lake. I guess a guy would need a boat for that.

dyabolical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really appreciate the suggestions.

My other issue is i am not a big fan of hunting alone, for a number of reasons. Anybody looking to add a hunting partner by chance?

Heh just thought i would throw that out there.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really appreciate the suggestions.

My other issue is i am not a big fan of hunting alone, for a number of reasons. Anybody looking to add a hunting partner by chance?

Heh just thought i would throw that out there.

I just moved from Vinita to Owasso a little over a year ago. I hunted south east of town on private land. I had the better part of a section I could hunt on. Killed a nice wall hanger there the last time I hunted it. I would have gladly taken you with me. I haven't been in the woods since I moved. :-(

Good luck, its very hard to get on private land around Vinita unless you were born & raised there. I got very lucky!

dyabolical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just moved from Vinita to Owasso a little over a year ago. I hunted south east of town on private land. I had the better part of a section I could hunt on. Killed a nice wall hanger there the last time I hunted it. I would have gladly taken you with me. I haven't been in the woods since I moved. :-(

Good luck, its very hard to get on private land around Vinita unless you were born & raised there. I got very lucky!

Do you by chance know the name of the land owner? Chances are my wife's stepdad knows them. He is very well connected and is considering running for mayor.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Oologah WMA? It actually looks to be a shorter drive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom