WMA hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honobia and Three Rivers turn into Dallas suburbs during rifle season.

By the time September rolls around, traffic triples with Texans up here scouting. I can always tell the shift because oncoming traffic stops waving. Last year 1K more does were harvested out of Pushmataha County...I'm guessing the Texans were worried about food with the COVID scare. Either way, I expect deer numbers to be less for a few years.

I live somewhat 'in' the Honobia WMA, and next to Three Rivers.

You might find some pigs, but it'll take dogs, and these two WMAs have a lot of steep hills. I shoot the pigs that come to the ranches out of them. I'm sure there are plenty of squirrels.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okmulgee is decent for deer, but open to archery, youth gun weekend, and youth draw hunts only.. there are hogs when you get down in the river bottoms. Deep fork was closed to gun ( but open to muzz) for a long time, but only the last year or two it has changed to being open first week or ten days of gun season, we have seen hogs in there the last two deer seasons.. it is broken up into a bunch of smaller sections along the river, some easier to access than others, and some get more attention than others. We generally do good there early archery, youth gun weekend, muzzleloader..

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I helped a couple guys drag a mule deer out of the Beaver WMA last year. It's a beautiful spot and you will find whitetail and mule deer, depending on where you're looking. Lots of dedicated areas for camping and motels in Beaver are cheap if you want to go that route. There's a biologist that lives on site and he will answer any questions and help you check your deer in. He helped the guys who got this deer hang it until the morning.

It is muzzleloader only so it is perfect if you want to go chase deer elsewhere during rifle season. Be sure to read the regulations, especially around mule deer management.

1626270269276.png

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m taking 4 days next week to get away, see if I can shoot some hogs and squirrels, maybe do some fishing too. Figured I would spend a day or two down in cross timber’s and love valley, then head west. While it’s tempting to go out to three rivers/honobia, I’m considering other areas. I love it out there, but I feel my chances of snagging a hog are pretty close to zero. Any other places of interest? I haven’t been to atoka/stringtown WMAs, but the camping is extremely limited and I know nothing about them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom