Anybody get anything cool that is gun-related today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 155376

Just picked up Luger #2 this afternoon!! However, this one is a 'reproduction' by Mauser/Interarms built in the 70's. It does have a grip safety. Never been fired!

Ah, you don't want that old/new thing. You've already got the classic. Better let me take custody of that thing while you come to your senses!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
20200302_142209.jpg
Little light reading and a spring kit for my HP.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the FINAL piece has arrived!!!!!

W00T!!!!

20200229_110126-X2.jpg

I don't even know how much I've got invested in this barrel... initial purchase, shipping to me (2nd day air required), then Duracoat, then shipping to machinist, fluting, then shipping back, now reaming and chambering next... <sigh>. Some folks say a 6.5PRC barrel will only be good for 1,000-1,500 rounds. I sure hope I get more than that out of it. Don't want to be doing all this again in a year.

We'll see. For now, though I am happy happy! Last bits in place, now the actual build can commence!

Barrel life will depend on how fast you push it and strings of fire. You may eventually find as I have, you feel like you're constantly adjusting cartridge base to ogive length due to throat erosion. Eventually you'll see a drop in speed and your mag length may get closer and closer to cartridge overall length. All this is happening with my overbore cartridge but accuracy is still great. I've got a little over 1400 rounds through my barrel.

My suggestion would be not to chase those who are getting max speed. Settle with a load that's accurate to the distance you'll be shooting. If you require 1/2-1 more mil so what. You'll just have to be a little better at your wind calls. There's a reason many who get into shooting long range do so with a 308. It's cheep to shoot, barrel life is fantastic, and learning to deal with the wind is less forgiving. What you're building now gives you a reason to build/buy another rifle and use it as a trainer. That way you save a little on the barrel of your 6.5 PRC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom