Anybody get anything cool that is gun-related today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nephew gets here in about 3 hours so I did chores today and set up our new "range".
I will move it to it's appropriate spot tomorrow but this is what I came up with.
All steel is AR500, the bug plate and metal frame I've had for years and is 1/2"
Everything else in the pic is new for this trip and the rest of the plates are 3/8.
Big A-frame is daw horse brackets with 6' studs for legs and 8' across.
Chains are trailer safety chains but look like they're gonna work pretty well. Spent an hour at the hardware store figuring out mounting and all that jazz.
Chains and sawhorse brackets from Harbor Freight and all new plates and side targets/stands from Atwoods.
View attachment 208712
What grade of chain is he using? We keep blowing the crap out of ours even at 500 plus yards. Wondering if anyone knows a temp chain metal that works better?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What grade of chain is he using? We keep blowing the crap out of ours even at 500 plus yards. Wondering if anyone knows a temp chain metal that works better?

The big wood A-frame is just using harbor freight trailer safety chains...and the metal frame one is using some random chain I had around the house...I've shot all kinds of stuff at it and never had an issue.
Are you shooting the chains, or is the sprawl hurting them?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The big wood A-frame is just using harbor freight trailer safety chains...and the metal frame one is using some random chain I had around the house...I've shot all kinds of stuff at it and never had an issue.
Are you shooting the chains, or is the sprawl hurting them?
Hitting the chain's when I get out to distance particularly with the very small plates. I would think the transfer of energy to a floating object like a chain, would sustain a hit without damaging. Past 500 I've had no problems and not always at 500 in. PS. That is a very nice set up.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hitting the chain's when I get out to distance particularly with the very small plates. I would think the transfer of energy to a floating object like a chain, would sustain a hit without damaging. Past 500 I've had no problems and not always at 500 in. PS. That is a very nice set up.
Really!! Shoot the plate and not the chain show off!!! :bolt::cool:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I did a setup with this and it seems to be holding up great. Hit it with a .223 at 100 yds and it survived.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...der-Coated-Steel-Chain-By-the-Foot/1000830314

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's post 1 of two today. I got this a few days ago but didn't post up. Found this company Sheridan engineering I hadn't heard of but dang if this doesn't seem like the best and handiest case gauge I've seen. From the top you can check headspace right?
IMG_20210628_201611.jpg

And then turn it on its side and you get ... A windowed view to see the rest of the round!!
IMG_20210628_201624.jpg

Cost of about 60 plus shipping but seems money well spent.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here's post 1 of two today. I got this a few days ago but didn't post up. Found this company Sheridan engineering I hadn't heard of but dang if this doesn't seem like the best and handiest case gauge I've seen. From the top you can check headspace right?
View attachment 211557
And then turn it on its side and you get ... A windowed view to see the rest of the round!!
View attachment 211558
Cost of about 60 plus shipping but seems money well spent.

That's pretty slick!

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty slick!
Turned out to be super helpful in diagnosing problems from my 300 Blackout brass conversion. Showed that the rounds were all in spec, but maybe juuuuuust on the edge. Couple piece of brass had a slightly oversized rim and got culled, but that wasn't the source of the issue. The upper itself had a real tight chamber that I would up cleaning up real well, and then taking a ton of oil out of the bolt to clean it's stickiness. I didn't want to mess with anything until I checked the loads from all angles shall we say before I did anything else, and it turned out to be money well spent. I reached out to Sheridan Engineering to see if they'd do a discount on a multi pack actually because I could see this being super useful to a few different calibers I make.

Latest posts

Top Bottom