Anybody in Tulsa loading .45 acp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just had this problem on my first batch of .45 ACP rounds. Ended up being the crimp wasn't enough and it still had a bit of the bell left. Post a picture, some things are easily identified by a pic.

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some pics. The first one is of rounds I've loaded. The one on the left is 230gr, middle 200gr and then the 185gr that is the issue. The next one is the 230gr in the barrel, then the 200gr in the barrel and last the 185gr in the barrel. They turned out a little fuzzy, but maybe you can see them. Although the overall length is about the same on all, it is the length from the bottom of the case to where the taper on the bullet that is the problem. I can seat the bullets deeper to overcome this, but should I be worried about pressure in the case from doing that? Thanks.

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg278_Caseman_album_P1180064.jpg

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg278_Caseman_album_P1180065.jpg

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg278_Caseman_album_P1180066.jpg

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg278_Caseman_album_P1180067.jpg

redleg45

Marksman
Reaction score
The case has probably bulged as posted above. This is most common in higher pressure rounds like the .40 S&W. Redding makes a push through die to correct this, but so far only for the .40. Chamber checkers are available through several companies such as Sinclair or Dillon that work better than using your barrel. I ensures that the round is to factory specs--not that it just happens to chamber in a particular gun.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the overall length is about the same on all, it is the length from the bottom of the case to where the taper on the bullet that is the problem

The latter measurement is the important one in seating cases. It is a common mistake to take an overall length for one bullet and slavishly apply it to another bullet, because of this exact problem. The length from the base to the ogive must not be too long to fit into the chamber.

Strongly suggest getting a drop-in cartridge gage to make your cartridges within SAAMI specs.

As to pressure, yes, you need to consider it, but I can't guess without very specific information whether you will still be safe. Generally loading data is for a specific bullet, specific powder, specific amount, and a minimum OAL. Change any of these and the pressure changes.

"Glocked" cases are rare in .45 ACP, which operates at about half the pressure of a .40.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In general a semi- wad cutter as your 185 is should be loaded so that the shoulder of the bullet (where the bullet goes from full diameter to the step down for the nose) is only about a 1/16" out of the case. yours are loaded out too long from the picture. Seating them deeper wont hurt a thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom