Anybody interested in smokeless muzzleloading take a look

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Over on Greybeard's forum there's a couple guys running 45-120 (think big 45-70) conversions on handi's.

But the brass contains the pressure, not just the barrel, they're just making the chamber longer to fit the longer case. That's got to be the crankiest round I've ever reloaded for, do you have one?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great new gun elkstalker. I used to be a regular on Dougs board when first getting my smokeless MZ. Those guys are some real wildcatters. I'd be scared to try some of the stuff they do.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool rifle!

I have a co-worker that lives in Virginia that has an interesting smokeless ml. It's a .50 caliber that has a breech plug chambered for .358 winchester. He preloads smokeless powder in the cartridge and simply loads his sabot/bullet from the muzzleloader.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do they put a liner in the chamber area? it would seem to me the bullet would be loose and floppy without one.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do they put a liner in the chamber area? it would seem to me the bullet would be loose and floppy without one.

??? a liner? No the chamber is completely filled by the breech plug. the powder and bullet sit in the barrel. When you push the bullet down the barrel it never has a chance to make it into the chamber. Your chamber is where the breech plug now sits

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would this have to be a FFL to FFL type transfer to ship a rifle up to VA for this work to be done? I have been thinking about a smokeless rig, but since Savage quit making them, not sure where to find one (other than the $800-900 ones on Gunbroker, which listed on Savages site for about $300 less). I always had really good accuracy with any Handi Rifle I have owned, this conversion really caught my eye! Thanks!

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Would this have to be a FFL to FFL type transfer to ship a rifle up to VA for this work to be done? I have been thinking about a smokeless rig, but since Savage quit making them, not sure where to find one (other than the $800-900 ones on Gunbroker, which listed on Savages site for about $300 less). I always had really good accuracy with any Handi Rifle I have owned, this conversion really caught my eye! Thanks!

Donnt believe you need FFL all you ship slufoot is a barrel and a savage breech plug

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clint,

Yes the ASKING prices of the discontinued Savages have gotten stupid on Gunbroker.

Deer 24/7 is correct. You can ship a barrel and breech plug to ANYBODY! That is not regulated by the BATFE, the reciever is what requires an FFL. That part you leave at home. Slufoot only needs your barrel and a breech plug.

Also, an FYI. You can legally ship your whole gun to any FFL for work and they can ship it directly back to you without going thru an FFL, because you OWN the gun. No transfer of ownership is taking place. Just like you can ship your personal guns to yourself. In other words if you go hunting across the nation and don't wanna carry the gun thru the airlines you can legally ship it to your destination and recieve it directly, because you own the gun.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda what I figured, I had a buddy drop off a gun a few months back for me to duracoat as part of a trade deal, and I shipped it back to him via FedEx I believe. Thanks for the info on this conversion, may have to keep my eye out for a used Handi Rifle. I assume I would want the bull barrel model, versus the pencil barrel version? Thanks again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom