Anybody interested in smokeless muzzleloading take a look

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clint,

I don't think they make a bull barrel model in the 45/70. That is the only caliber/barrel you can use for the slufoot conversion. Although they might make a bull. Anyway, a bull barrel is not necessary they barrel of a 45/70 is plenty heavy as is. I purchased the regular wood stock/open sights 45/70 handi-rifle. Its the cheapest one they make and its what a lot of guys have got converted. I paid $299 for mine, but I have seen them for as low as $260-270 on Gunbroker. So with a little research I am sure a guy could pick one up from a local gun dealer in that price range.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a gunshop in McAlester that usually stocks a lot of the Handi Rifles, both used and new. I bought a couple different ones from him when I lived down there. Thanks again for the info on this topic, if I get ready to do this I may shoot you a PM to get contact info on the place in VA that does it.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the brass contains the pressure, not just the barrel, they're just making the chamber longer to fit the longer case. That's got to be the crankiest round I've ever reloaded for, do you have one?

Got a handi in 45-70 I've been thinking about blowing up to the bigger volume, but not as of yet. I really enjoy just the "regular" round as it is.
I do have a 500 I'm thinking seriously about reaming up. :screwy:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...overnment+Single+Shot22"+Barrel+wRifle+Sights
$250ish

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it warmed up and I finally got some time to shoot. Was a little windy, but overall I was pleased with my first range results. With a little more shooting and less wind I am very confident this gun will do exactly what I thought it would. The lower shot was my first round and the upper 3 were my last 3 shots before quitting for the day. Not bad for a 20mph cross breeze I don't think. 100 yds, 36 grains 5744, and 195gr Barnes expander.

[Broken External Image]

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The breech plug is a factory Savage muzzleloader breech plug. It is not rough.

What you are seeing in the picture is the marks on the barrel from the machining done by the guy who did my conversion. The marks look worse in the picture due to the flash than what they actually are. Basically a little of the blueing was rubbed off when the chamber was drilled and tapped for the plug. Its not a rough surface at all, very smooth.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My SML was put togethere by these folks:

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

They custom fit their barrel to a NEF or H&R receiver. Mine is a really good shooter. Extremely simple, less complex than the Savage breech plug, not as pretty as the converted barrel in this thread. Worth a look if you want to go smokeless.

A friend of mine has the savage and loves it. It's more complicated than it needs to be.

If your accuracy remains off, it could be the sabots. The ones available from the SML site above are designed for the higher temps and pressures of smokeless, but they may not have your diameter. They can probably refer you to their supplier for your caliber.

I recommend you chase down some of your fired sabots and look for burning on the skirts. If there is any, it will kill accuracy.

A gunsmith who does lots of black powder told me the front of a bullet can be very deformed without accuracy suffering much, but that he and some friends had tried nicking the trailing edge of bullets with wild inaccuracy as a result. I suspect a burned sabot skirt would have a similar effect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom