Anyone into trapping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on putting a few traps out this year just for the fun of it.There is really no money to be made but I still plan on getting a few hides tanned.Anyone else putting any out?

Scott

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yep. I set out two live traps for coons set with cat food, and had no takers, and set out 4 dirt hole sets with sardines for a bob cat that has tracks all over the area. I thought they were perfect set ups, even using a dead mouse I found in the barn, but when I checked them this morning, they had stolen the bait, and the waxed traps were still intact? I don't know how they did that, but I tripped the traps as I didn't have any more bait, but I'll check them tomorrow and make some modifications.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yessir! 4 live traps, 6 leg traps! for coons you cannot beat a thick creek. and for cats you cant beat hanging a duck wing in a canyon bottom or treelines!

CrossJ

Marksman
Reaction score
Scott, I will trap a few places for coyotes based on owners request. I'll trap cats again for a couple weeks, but I will do like last year and release my females if in good shape. Sure would like to see the market come back. I have a freezer half full from last year.

Maintain, Geordie

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I set a couple box traps and a couple leg hold sets yesterday to teach a cousin's daughter how to do it. We pulled them this morning without a catch. Had one coyote work a urine post but about 2" from the pan. I may get time to set a few traps around here.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started my trap line Friday, and had no takers on Sat Morning, but did have a couple of sets where the bait was taken, and the traps weren't tripped. Redid the sets, and checked them this morning. Had two coons, and three skunks. I love taking nest robbers out of the picture. None of the beaver sets were visited, but I know there is one or more in the creek as there is fresh willow cut branches around the den.

I took pics of the coons, but got lightly sprayed with the first skunk when I shot it from about 15 yds, The danged wind changed and it drifted my direction before I could get out of the way. didn't get any pics of the skunks as I was Po'd about getting sprayed, and shot them with the .223 45 gr HP and it was a little too graphic.
Tripped all the traps as I won't be able to check them untill next weekend when I have 6 days off.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010049_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom