Anyone into trapping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am really wanting to learn more about trapping but do not know where to start. I have been calling predators for about 20 years now and never really tried my hand at trapping. The boy(9yo) got interested in it after reading one of my fur trading mags and that makes me interested. If anyone has time to mentor us let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some good places to go on the internet which is where I learned my basics. Some of the rest a good mentor can help, and some has to be learned in the field.
The Okla trappers Association sets up at the Wildlife expo, and I learned how to trap an armadillo, and some of the finer points of leg hold traps.
Personally I do my best with live traps baited with cat food for bobcats, and corn, or catfood for coons. Of course you will catch skunks, and possums, too, but the old trappers told me you have to catch the "trash" in the area before you catch the money. Hides don't sell for anything now, so its just for predator control for me.
I have three set out today, and one leg hold trap. I'll be over at the crack of dawn in the morning to check them. I'm hoping one is a cat around an old shed that collapsed. there is a ton of cat tracks around it. I think it lives there. Ground is frozen, and I didn't prepare any dry dirt to make a dirt hole set.
I have heard of finding some road kill and hanging it on a fence where a game trail crosses the fence, and putting some leg holds under it? Never tried it, but maybe somebody else has heard of it?

Varmintal.com is a great site.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked the traps this morning with the Grandson from Dallas. He got pretty interested in it. Not much trapping in his area though. Didn't reset them as It will be this weekend before getting back over there.

[Broken External Image]

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010057.jpg

[Broken External Image]

V@rmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet. My son and I just finished building a large live trap tonight. We're planning on going camping in SE Oklahoma this weekend and giving it a try. I've never used a live trap, but my brother and I made a lot of money back in the seventies trapping coon and coyotes with leg holds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet. My son and I just finished building a large live trap tonight. We're planning on going camping in SE Oklahoma this weekend and giving it a try. I've never used a live trap, but my brother and I made a lot of money back in the seventies trapping coon and coyotes with leg holds.

Yeah, that was back when coons were getting about $25. My cousin trapped all one winter really hard back then and bought a pretty good pickup in the spring with the money he made.

Latest posts

Top Bottom